Motivation.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    In an effort to increase motivation I decided to raise the stakes and move forward with requesting an audition with my community symphony orchestra. Yes, I know it's small potatoes compared to lots of players on TM. Still, scary for me since the last time I played regularly in a band or orchestra was in college back in 1980! It's providing a dual motivation for my practice sessions: Fear of flaming out at the audition, and the thrill of envisioning being a "real" trumpet player again. If I pull off the audition I'll definitely be rewarding myself with some cheese and a snifter of something :thumbsup:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    In Finland it would probably be dried fish and vodka......................

3. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    I get together with a friend of mine 2 -3 times a week and practice, we both play in the Church orchestra and Community orchestra.

We are both about the same level, but I can tell when when my practice routine is slipping when we play together.

My motivation is not be left behind or let him advance furhter than me, I guess I'm a little competative.

4. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    Why dont you reward yourself with beer and some beer nuts ROFL

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    But not chromatic scalesROFL

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008

Had NO IDEA this was OK! Where can I get a trumpet? :cool:

7. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Pröva med något systembolag....där borde ju finnas ;0)

8. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    God ide´, min vän!

9. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Robert,

You have at least two world class trumpeters, Jouko Harjanne and Pasi Pirinen, living in Helsinki. I'm not sure where in Finland you live, but an opportunity to spend time with either would be something not to be missed.

We enjoyed having a fabulous young Finn named Tapio Paavilainen at Chosen Vale in our inaugural year. I believe that he's completing a M.Mus. in Manchester at the moment but you should also try to meet him at some point.

Best,
    EC

10. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    That should not be a problem finding a great trumpet player to hear because I live in New York City. For example, this month I am going to hear Tony, Ingrid, and Laurie kick butt with Maria Schneider. Pam Fleming is an exceptional lyrical player who can perform a variety of styles very well and inspired and motivated me to play this summer after hearing her perform. So, if you need motivation, come to NYC and hear a player perform.

Janell