Motivation.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    Sooooo, i will learn :dontknow:

2. Sneakyheathen

Sneakyheathen New Friend

Jul 30, 2008
    I generally try to see how high I can play, or I'll try sight reading something to get into the mood for practicing. Sometimes I'll even try playing a song from my ipod on my trumpet.

3. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Yes :thumbsup:. I have been in contact with Jouko Harjanne many times. I have not met Pasi yet...but he is ofcourse on the list of "peoples to meet" :

4. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    if i'm having trouble getting in the mood to play i'll typically put on some christian scott or royal crown revue and then pick up a book for a half hour. after that i usually want to practice for an hour or so. for some reason listening to superior players gets me in the mood.

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    whenever I lack motivation I turn on a recording of Sergei, Woody Shaw, Wynton, Maurice, Ed, Cassone, Burns, Cat Anderson, Yo-Yo-Ma, etc etc etc....

that usually snaps me out of my funk and I get back to work more excited than ever!

6. tonybaloney

tonybaloney Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2008
    Arlington
    Though it may sound boring, I practice theory. I take modes and play a solo based on the scale. It gets me motivated because I know that I can play, it very rewarding to play something of your own.

7. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    My motivation is not wanting to make a fool of myself in public.

Seriously!

I think this dates from the time when I was soprano cornet player in a championship section brass band.
    Living in an exposed position like that brought home to me the potential for personal embarrassment.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Don't fish have scales? :dontknow: