Motivation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 12erlgro, Nov 6, 2011.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Much of what everyone else is saying is right on the money, but in addition to that, try to always feel FREE to practice, rather than NEED to practice and give youreself some kind of treat, or fun thing to do each and every time. Relax and enjoy yourself in this part of the process. Don't limit yourself to all regimental with scales and exercizes, which are necessary to be sure. Make it your own, rather than external motivations. Have a little "dessert" with the meal to look forward to.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sometimes, addictive therapies are necessary. Practice is an addictive therapy for performance enhancement.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I like this approach. After all, let's not forget that we began playing trumpet for the fun of it (probably, unless your Nazi parents forced you into it). It is fun. You are a trumpet player .... you have a green light to play it and have fun. The word "practice" could be substituted for better, more motivational words like, "Scale fun in the Shed where the Jennifer Aniston posters are.":dontknow:

Turtle

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My tutor has always said to me "I want you to play this for me next week" or "You'll need to play this a bit to get the hang of it" - I never heard him utter the word practice - I think it helps kids a little, too.

5. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    My wife is my motivation to practice.......she hates the sound of a trumpet :cool:

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    OH, no you did not say that, now, did you? Sometimes our thoughts come out and we write them down, accidentally, instead of just thinkin' it, know what I'm saying?:cool:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    When I have a bad practice session, I tend think of it as purely physical training i.e., just keeping the chops up. It minimizes the skill component that was lacking, and keeps me from being too dissapointed. A bad session does not seem like a total loss to me. I then try to analyze what went wrong and why, and think to myself that tomorrow is another day wherein I can fix it. Concrete goals really help too.

BrotherBACH

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Why does it take you a whole session to figure that out? Aren't a couple of notes enough? I also have days where certain things don't want to work - that never results in a "bad" session because I adjust what I do to the current demand. If you reduce your sessions to the purely physical, it is already bad. Even keeping the chops up can be inspiring.

Every brainless note makes us worse instead of better. It is really easy to get used to brainless.

9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I can tell I am getting better because I practice. Things that I used to suck at months ago are now easy, and that motivates me to do more.

In fact, I have to be very careful to not over practice. Practice is not boring to me.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree and can only add that the only bad session is no session (brainless counts here as well as a brainless session is no session).