Motivation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 12erlgro, Nov 6, 2011.

1. flacoman

flacoman Pianissimo User

Oct 4, 2011

Since my kid started playing sax , hearing her play better than I can !
    I've been able to get the trumpet parts for her band music , so we can bang away at the same stuff. Wifey wants to do a latke / music party later , so I need to scare up some holiday music

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    For me, motivation is easy, what's difficult is getting my mind focused entirely on the trumpet when my life gets BUSY. Practice sessions in which I'm worrying about or obssessing about something entirely unrelated, my playing suffers.

This is the fix I'm looking for. I don't want to put off my practice, when my mind isn't on it, I'd rather force the issue, like Rowuk describes above. I'm trying to develop some sort of psychiatric woo woo warmup that zens me into TRUMPET MIND and out of "wasn't that a gorgeous woman who smiled at you today on the street?" (I wonder who she is), or whatever.

Turtle

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    :huh:............What was she wearing ?

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not a fair question. Turtle is already having problems with this mental block and now you ask what she is wearing? Turtle, stick with the zen concept, concent only on the breathing, breath in, then out, in then out....

while you coordinate trading 4's on kisses with that pretty girl you passed on the street yesterday!

5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Rowuk and gmonady,

I understand your perspective as my teacher emphasizes the mental aspects of playing. We have worked very carefully together on mental images of what I am supposed to do during practice to make a mind-body connection while I play. But, when I fail at achieving the goals, it feels like a bad session. It does not mean I work mindlessly through the practice session. I continue to work very carefully, keeping the cues in my head of what I am supposed to do. Afterwards, when writing my practice notes, I analyze why things did not work and what I will fix for the next practice session. It is a very cognitive and mental process. Then, I get excited to try to fix my errors or refine what went right for the next practice session. Because I place high demands on myself, I also try to look on the positive side, so I do not get discouraged. On the positive side, I kept my chops in shape.

If a session is "truely" bad in terms of nothing working, I adjust and go through my scales and pick some pieces to site read (my weaknesses).

BrotherBACH

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

It's not so much WHAT she was wearing as HOW she was wearing it (clever way to say I don't remember).:lol:

But the face ..... whoah .... I dreamt about her last night. She totally messed up my trumpet practice sessions for days afterwards as I was visualizing her face on the Herb Alpert whipped cream girl on the poster that's up in my shed. Maybe the poster has to go .....:dontknow:

What was the question?

Turtle

7. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    If I don't have my horn to play I can practice by buzzing my lips until they are tired. It's best to making buzzing noises while driving in the car. Nobody knows or cares about the sound.

8. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I disagree. Sometimes the best thing you can do is NOT practice. Nothing is gained by drilling yourself into the ground on a day, or session, that's obviously not working. Of course if you're on your 3rd or 4th day of "bad days" then yes, maybe some motivation is required or you have other issues.

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Yep Turtle you can talk mind focus all you want, and I can be completely focused on the horn and body mechanics and my fiancé’ will walk down in the basement and Bam…right out the door !! Those darn women…. She did the same thing to me the night I met her, I was watching her all night instead of the music ! I fixed her though, I asked her to marry me : )

10. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    ....sounds of crickets......time passes.......more time passes.......the autumn of life arrives as the leaves fall like years pass..............see post #15:roll: