Motivation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 12erlgro, Nov 6, 2011.

1. sorahauk

sorahauk New Friend

Oct 19, 2011
    TN
    I like to test my limits and thinking About making every note better than the last one

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Thanks for watching my back, Doc. I have to concentrate .....

Turtle

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    ccNochops, you had me there....Then I went back and read post 15, LOL. I don't know if it's good or not by my Fiance likes the sound of me practicing.......maybe cause she knows I'm out of her way..........Hmmmmmmmmm

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Up till now I didn't realize the posts were numbered, that's handy,isn't it? Duh, I can be oblivious sometimes. You could parade the entire Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader team in front of me when I'm practicing, no effect..........that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    DC Cheerleaders.....Trumpet ? WHAT Trumpet, I own a trumpet ? I would be owned...

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

You should give seminars ..... I'm distracted by a POSTER (it IS the whipped cream girl ...:roll:).

Turtle

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You spineless bastard!

No just kidding, this is great news. Now you have to revert to Zen mediation to clear the mind to proceed in playing your trumpet (to reconcile your relationship with your mistress, the trumpet), AND secretly build a practice shed behind the pine trees so she cannot distract you once you the "until death we part" clause is uttered. Turtlejimmy can advise you on the latter.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you are working with these ethics at play, even a "bad session" is not a failure. We all have them. Did you hear the one: "We learn from our mistakes". But if you have a bad session and do not recognize it as such, this is mindless practice and only perpetuates progression of bad habits.

So how can you fail when you have developed such a respectable methodology as you just detailed? These things just take time. The trumpet is a demanding instrument to master. Yet it can be mastered; in stages. Keep working toward this goal, knowing you will never achieve perfection, but the mastery of goals along the way WILL keep you on the track toward perfection. But let's hope we never reach perfection, because then our progression of mastery will stop!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I disagree with your disagreeing with my comment. Not practicing will lead to losing ground on maintaining physical endurance and embouchure tone. This will put you behind.

Rather than not practicing out of fear of running head-on AGAIN into a brick wall, choose an exercise for the NEXT practice session that is less demanding and has a high yield at success. This is the positive reinforcement we need to continue to eventually reach the next level. If you’re on your 3rd and 4th day of bad days, this tells me you are still working on the "currently impossible" and haven't taken one or two progressive steps back. OR your approach to the next level has not been subdivided to achievable goals (such as only work at 2 bar phrases, take passages at a decreased tempo, take the passage down an octave until the feel of the passage is firmly established in your mind).

But do not mindlessly proceed through the same passage in the same way for a 3rd and 4th day, because then you will truly be frustrated and do something horribly degenerating like take up the flute or dulcimer.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You're not using your trumpet as the rake are you ccNochoops?