Motivation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 12erlgro, Nov 6, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    THIS WOULD DEFINATELY effect me. I'd yell out something like: "Hay, could you hold it down and move your parade to the Turtle shed, I'm trying to practice here!!"

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    PS: This would also relieve Turtle of his poster distraction. I am such a humanitarian!

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I was just kidding- I can't even think about them and play the trumpet, then again I have enough trouble playing the trumpet and remembering to breath too!:lol:
    And my goal is to make each note better than the next. So a great start is very important!

4. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    My motivation for practicing, is because it's FUN to toot on a trumpet....and the better one gets, the FUNNER it is.

It also makes my brain and lungs fell better, and I enjoy that feeling of being a musician. It's what I am supposed to be doing.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Gents, you really need to focus - research the concept of Imaging, it centres around focussing the mind. While some of the concepts are a little strange it allows one to centre one's concentration and set in place a repeatable method to put one in their "Happy Place" prior to playing/practising. It's a psychology tool, but it too takes practice. (#3 serious post by Ted)

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    When the “Red” light comes on for a performance though…. No matter what’s happening in front of me, I’m all there, my mind is glued to the horn and the performance !

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Remember the Seinfeld episode where George's father was trying to relax and quiet his mind ..... (he went around, with gritted teeth, saying, harshly, "Serenity now! Serenity now!")?

Well, it doesn't work. :bash:

Turtle

8. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Bad day? Motivation to practice? What?!? I can't wait to play everyday!

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:thumbsup:

Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders are always welcome in the shed.

Turtle

10. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Disagree x 3 ... Not practising 1 or 2 days will not lead to losing ground. I would even say 3 or 4 might only have minimal effects. (I'm assuming we're talking about someone who practices regularly and often, not someone who practices once and awhile.) The human mind/body just isn't made of glass. And I'd argue that stressing out about missing a couple days here and there is much worse than any imagined harm from actually missing them.

Your other points about having 3 or 4 bad days though I think are valid...could be a sign you're practicing the wrong things.