Moto Perpetuo

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by camelbrass, Jun 15, 2005.

1. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Wilmer,

You know somebody was going to bring this one up!!

I cannot hear Wynton take a breath on this on Carnaval. Did he do it on one breath or did he 'sneak' one in? If he did it on one breath this is astonishing, even if he didn't it still an amazing piece of playing. Like Cichowicz at 78.

For the younger guys and girls on this forum get this album. Mr Marsalis's playing is par excellence and showcases a great tradition of American cornet players. The older guys and girls should of course have it!!

Regards,

Trevor

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I don't want to step on Wilmer's toes by jumping in on this, nor do I want to sully the reputation of Wynton Marsalis, who is a fine trumpet player, but I have heard more than once that there was a lot of "studio magic" done on the Carnival album. It could be that he did breathe and it was later edited out in the studio. Then again, one of the things that I have noticed about Wynton on other recordings is his ability to play unbelievably long phrases without taking a breath.

I'm interested to hear what comes of this subject.

3. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    When I ordered my B6 from Monette I got into a discussion of circular breathing with Tom Raney and he told me Wynton is one of the best at circular breathing that Monette have ever seen.

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Wynton has the circular breathing thing down. I don't know if the Carnival version was done in one take, but I know he can do it. Carnival is an amazing recording.
    Wilmer

5. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I have an aboriginal friend in Australia (that's a surprise..actually Sydney is my home town) who is an incredible Didgeridoo player. He circular breathes and does animal calls at the same time..he's tried to teach me but I'm just not that clever. A guy I used to play in bands with (Tony Hobbs..now a pro sax player in Australia) was mucking around with it when we were in our teens with some success.

If he uses circular breathing that seemlessly..what a skill !!!

Worth admiring.

Regards,

Trevor

6. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    FWIW - i found that playing didgeridoo was a fantastic way to learn how to circular breathe. The didge is really open, so when you have mastered that, and then switch back to trumpet, circular breathing is a breeze. And because you get used to moving so much air on the didge, on trumpet you can circular breathe in almost any register - before learning didge, i could only circular breathe when playing in the stave.

Its also a great way to warm down after a heavy gig!

this site seems to have a good description of how to play didge, for anyone that's interested:
    http://aboriginalart.com.au/didgeridoo/dig_background.html

cheers,
    Adrian

7. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I heard there were a lot of cuts on that recording too. I don't know how reliable a rumor like that it but I'm inclinded to believe it.

Wynton is without a doubt one of the best trumpet players alive. Or dead for that matter. However, I don't think even Wynton could circular breathe without a single cack, clam, split, or anything for four and a half minutes. To be clear, not only are these no mistkes, there are no splits of any kind on the recording. I don't think that kind of thing "occurs in nature". :-)

All studios do it. It's nothing against Wynton. Let's be honest though...if he was doing this solo live we'd all be picking our jaws up off the floor. I saw Nakariakov a few weeks ago and he was great but even he had a few splits. They were tiny but they were there. Wynton's flawless recording is excellent and a testament to his ability but I highly doubt it was done in one take.

8. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Is the number of takes that it took to get the end product important? A recent post talked about things that can go wrong on a date. A dropped mute, a bow striking the stand, a string breaking can bring a take to a grinding halt.
    To me, I listen to the recording and I don't try to guess how it was done. Enjoy the music, and know that no one is perfect :cool:
    Wilmer

9. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Fine by me, Wilber. :-)

10. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Slowly....I turned.........step by step................... :evil:
    Wilmer