Moto Perpetuo

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by amzi, Jan 24, 2012.

1. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
  2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Mendez definitely defined a style!

3. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    When the hell does he breathe!?

[edit] Is that circular breathing?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  4. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    He just took one really big breath before he started!

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    he's circular breathing throughout the piece.... He is tonguing the whole time though, which adds difficulty compared to slurring like Wynton. Both versions are great, just different.

6. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    This was intended as a sort of commentary on sentiments expressed in the "Chris Botti Is Awful" thread. Mendez was simply a great player--I think one of if not the greatest player ever. His technical mastery is second to none--he had range, but he seldom displayed it; he could play jazz, but he seldom played. His artistry was, and is his command of the instrument--he "defined" mastery of the horn, not a particular genre.
    And yes, that is circular breathing; but he does a single breath rendition of Mexican Hat Dance that will knock your socks off. I'll just include the link--starts after Flight of the Bumblebee about (2:30). Rafael Mendez - Flight of the Bumble Bee & Mexican Hat Dance - YouTube

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is nothing "easier" about slurring this piece. Just try it and you will know what I mean. Slur that stuff - especially in the upper register.

I gave up after 6 months or so. Not enough talent. I can play most of it tongued, but there are sections that I probably would need a lifetime for. I find slurred MUCH harder.
    My personal favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eNZEay-bJA&feature=related

And here is Hora Legato by Maurice André

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL6lmkyyxSY&feature=related

8. garmeth

garmeth New Friend

Dec 4, 2010
    I read somewhere that mendez only took 1 take to make that recording. What a monster.

9. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    What a jerk that Mendez...he's clearly had some sort of cheater mouthpiece and his breathing control was gifted to him by ET's...

10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Mr. Mendez's sons have acknowledged their father could and did play this impossible piece without stopping.
    However, due to the incredible endurance needed and mind numbing technical demands, for the recording Mr. Mendez elected to place 4 edits in the piece. Where you hear a triangle, you have an edit. Keep in mind that there were other pieces to record that day.
    For more accurate information on Mendez, Dave Hickman is the moderator of the Mendez Forum at Trumpet Herald. Many things about Mendez's life and performances are there for the reading.
    Want to see the actual music as played by Mendez? Go here. Welcome to the website of Erik Veldkamp Look under sheet music and then concerto and etudes.
    I have heard violin soloists play it slower than Mr. Mendez.

RT