moustache

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eskimojoe, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I had facial hair for years, but now that I'm clean shaven, it hurts me to play if I haven't shaved. Weird. I guess it's just what you're used to.

2. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Friend

Jul 23, 2005
    Wetaskiwin, Alta, Canada
    I find I play the same both with and without facial hair, regardless of how recently I've shaved. I do currently have a beard (I too think I look better bearded, but I have been thinking about shaving it though, as the amount of grey in it keeps increasing ;) )and the only thing I really hate, regardless of the length of the hair, is when hairs get under the rim of my mouthpiece in just such a way to cause pain when played upon. So I generally use an electric trimmer every week to cut out a small notch for my mouthpiece to sit in (nothing big and obvious, just enough that the rim of the mouthpiece makes contact with skin and not hair). Works great for me. I know some guys who like hair to get in under the rim because they feel it gives them an extra "cushion", but I've never found that to work well for me.

3. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    And I thaught it was just me! I feel like I can hardly play at all right after shaving, range and flexibility are both affected.

4. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I started growing a moustache right after my high school graduation. I got tired of the irritation on the the upper lift after shaving. Especially in the warmer months. That was 30 years ago. I just trim the center now and again if need be. My late wife used to say if I shaved it off I'd have to go back and live with my mother until it grew back! LOL
    Bob

5. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    In your icon you have a beard. I take it that's not really you tata. How bout letting us see the real you?

6. francolinni

francolinni New Friend

Dec 14, 2007
    Philly
    Hey Decent: If that is him, ya might not want to piss him off! As far as the facial hair guys: Had a full face full since Scotland in '74. Shaved it off once! My mother cried and told me to grow it back!! Said I was ugly! But can't even imagine scraping my lip before playing!!! YO! Hurts just thinking about it. Franco