mouth piece selection

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by cajuninms, Aug 4, 2005.

1. cajuninms

cajuninms New Friend

Aug 4, 2005
    Ok guys..im new here..just loged in for the first time today!..just thought i would say hello b4 my first post!

ok..well..i think i have big lips for a trumpet player..well not really big..but fat..if i could say that..but..i am currently playing on a Bach 3C and can get a pretty big, fat sound (as my trumpet teacher would say) with it and can hit a high C (yea..kinda low for a sophmore) pretty easily...what i am getting to is do yall think i should get a 1C or should i stick with the 3C..im trying to increase my high register as well as my pedal notes..i started exercises for increasing register a couple months ago..and this is how high i can get..idk why..i play every day for about 1 - 2 hrs a day..if that matters..

also..what does the letter mean on the mouthpieces..(yea i know i should know this kinda stuff..but iv never really had to change mouthpieces since i was in 7th grade)..like what is 1A, 1B, 1C, and i think i read somewhere a 1X?...what does this mean?

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    The letter after the number refers to the depth in most cases. In terms of Bach A is the deepest while F is the most shallow. A 1X is a copy of a Mt. Vernon 1, so the X is not in reference to the depth. As far as changing mouthpieces, the only way to know if you prefer one over another is to try them out and make the decision for yourself.

3. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Just my humble ol' thoughts,

To me, too many people obsess way too much over mouthpieces. To me, the only thought that ever enters my mind in selecting a mouthpiece is does it allow me to get my mind out of the mouthpiece and into the music? What I tell people is if you want to discuss mechanics, go work on cars. The size is only a statistic for the builders to me and is of no real consequence to the trumpeter, as long as the mouthpiece allows you to effortlessly produce what's in your head. For orchestral players, it's often in the Bach 1 range. For lead players, it tends to be generally in the Bach 3 or narrower range and at least a medium shallow cup. For jazz players, it can basically be any mouthpiece that allows you to get the tone in your head out of the horn, be it Kenny Dornham's Bach 1 or Andrea Tofanelli's 10-1/2EW based mouthpiece. You should not under any circumstance have to whip out your rig and fight the mouthpiece to get the playing results you want.

Just my thoughts.

4. GetzenK700

GetzenK700 New Friend

Feb 7, 2006
    Hickory Hills, Illinois

There is a size deeper than a...that would be the Bach 5v...although it is hard to get a hold of, it lives up to its name its cup is a "V".
    >=====

5. KMT

KMT Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes, I forgot to add that before. However, the Bach V cup is not terribly difficult to get ahold of, the 5V is a standard size. I have a couple of V underparts for my 1C rim as well. But the V cup is not the deepest, I also forgot to include the FL cup. My old teacher had a Bach FL underpart with a trumpet shank. He has tried many times to get an additional one, but Bach won't even admit to having made it. Boyde told me that he bought it directly from Bach about 20 years ago.

6. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Clifford Brown also had large lips . . . but he didn't use huge mouthpieces. Rather, he used a Bach 17C, .620 inner rim sized "peashooter."

Forget your preconcieved notions and try different mouthpieces until you get one that really works for you. If it is a tuba mouthpiece, who cares . . . for it is the sound that matters. If it is a Maynard peashooter, who cares either . . . for again, what matters is how it FITS you and allows you to express yourself best.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

7. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Yeah. Exactly my sentiments.

Try many (dozens, hundreds), buy many.

Borders on insanity, but so what? Life is short.

Robert Rowe