mouth piece swap

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Mickley, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I'm just an average player and I have found that as I've gotten older [60] when my chops get tired on my Reeves 42M I can extend my playing when I switch over to my Schilke 13C4. Is this normal, do others switch m.p. when tired.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    When tired, I've found relief when switching between trumpet and flugel on big band gigs. Even though the flugel mouthpiece is much larger, it rests my chops and I feel better on the next trumpet number. Must be the different position on the lips and the slightly different embouchure required.

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I see no problem whatsoever with switching mouthpieces if it helps you continue to play with good tone and intonation. You may get some responses that will say it's a "cheat" but my thought is that if it works successfully for you, it's a fine thing to do, and someday you may find you no longer need to do that. But even if you never reach that point, it's the music that's the most important and if the music still sounds good, keep on doing what you're doing.

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Have you ever tried playing exclusively on the Schilke? Maybe you wouldn't need to switch.

5. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    It could also be that the second MP is cooler thus relieving some muscle strain.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    The physical part of playing should be easy so you can concentrate on the music.
    If you need to change and you play better, do it.

7. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    I doubt it. I can extend my playing time by switching too. I think it's because the different size puts pressure in a slightly different area. It's not nearly as good as starting with fresh chops, but it certainly helps.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The other mouthpiece is colder. If you take a sip of something cold, you decrease the lip swelling some and life gets easier without the mouthpiece swap.

Tired muscles are tired regardless ofwhat mouthpiece is on your face. A slightly different geometry does not change that. Cooling the chops is the real issue.

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    My normal mouthpiece is a vintage Conn 4 (small like a Bach 10 1/2C). But when my lips tire, I switch to a very large mouthpiece like a Jettone 7MD. All of the aforementioned effects seem to come into play - it is cooler and it allows me to 'pucker' more which rests the muscles along the side of my face and changes the emphasis to those around my lips. It does allow me to keep playing for awhile and then I can switch back to the Conn 4 and feel somewhat rested. I guess you could say it is like switching from jogging to fast walking and then back to jogging rather than just sitting down on the curb when I am tired.

10. sach7581

sach7581 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    I had been using a Shilke 15C4 and got tired one night and switched to my old Olds Mendez 2. I couldn't believe how good it felt with that wide rim. That was it for the Shilke. I've been using the Mendez ever since.