Mouth Piece Trouble

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Matthew, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Matthew

Matthew New Friend

Feb 10, 2013
    I was playing my trumpet today practicing "Auld Lang Syne" at the first cornet part. The top note is a high E that holds out for 3 beats. As I am holding this note out my trumpet slowly slipped below my top lip corrupting the note. Is there a way to prevent this from happening. Thank you!

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Strengthening your embouchure and making it more efficient (long tones and slurs work for that I believe), optimizing air support, adjusting body position and use, culling down all interfering tension. Sounds like it should be simple enough right?

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One of the most ill-advised things we can do is to blame our own inadequacies on the equipment.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    As is true in 99% of all cases the problem is not in the hardware it is in the software.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The good news... Nobody will remember it:

"When old E quaintness be forgot..."

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Matt. Clams like this happen all of the time. Im not one to over-analize, I dont have that much time to worry about notes that have already gone by. Keep working on your skills and unless it is due to a bad habit developing, let it go. You have till new years eve to get it down...right? Best wishes.

7. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I find that on occasion when my concentration drops on notes at high C or above, I'll drop my support a bit and the note'll pop down to the next lower partial for a split second (this rarely happens on an E above high C tough, it usually happens on a C or D). Maybe this is similar thing? Maybe your support is wavering a tad?