mouth piece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Apr 21, 2011.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I met a trumpet player who told me I should buzz the mouth piece when I am out and when I am not able to practice or in between practice ok fine .....but he told me to use a trombone mouthpiece I think a trombone mouth piece is too large he told me no it is relaxing ......?? Anyone have any coments :huh:Anthony

2. SwingPlayer

SwingPlayer New Friend

Apr 7, 2011
    I.E. SoCal
    I have one in my car...people must think I'm crazy

3. jgambill

jgambill New Friend

Feb 6, 2009
    I also use one, helps with air control as well as buzzing.:grouphug:

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Anthony,
    playing the trumpet is the sum of many things - not any one particular exercize.

I do buzz a little bit each day - maybe 5 minutes. I do not need a trombone mouthpiece to relax although I play the tenor horn and tuba on occasion.

More critical to success is what you do with the TRUMPET. Your daily routine with long tones, slurs, scales, intervals and most importantly MUSIC will determine how fast you progress.

So, my take is that a trombone mouthpiece does NOTHING better than a trumpet mouthpiece. It does not help with air control, that happens when you play TRUMPET because the air flows much differently than with a mouthpiece alone.

5. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks Rowuk :play:

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I'm not a big fan mouthpiece buzzing. I might do it for a few seconds before warming up,but that's all.I find if I over do it,my chops have a tendency spread. Then again I know some players that mouthpiece buzz every chance they get with not ill affects. Of course they are all trumpet players using trumpet mouthpieces not trombone.

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I was always under the impression that mouthpiece buzzing is the "poor mans practice session" when time, situation, and circumstance wont let you use your hammer the old fashioned way. It could be that there is some advantage but I think it is minimal. I may get blasted for this but buzzing is IMHO mostly a waste of time. And to use a mouthpiece from a trombone just doesnt sound right to me. More time or higher quality time behind the horn will benefit you faster than plain buzzing. If you need to practice at work or in church try double or triple tounging for exercise. Everyone needs a faster toung sometimes. Best wishes.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I'm surprised it fits the exhaust pipe. Must be a small car.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Veery -No, it's a really large backbore. :)

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uh oh

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011