mouth piece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Apr 21, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    if they blast you for that comment -- THEY can include me also. I don't GET the buzzing thing, maybe cause I can't really do it ---- people here would say I therefore can't play the trumpet --- but here I am, a trumpet player -- who prefers to grab the horn and the mpc and practice/play with the real deal.

2. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    There are those who believe that buzzing the mp is a good diagnostic tool to help get at the resonance quickly because it removes the horn from the equation.

I buzz the leadpipe for that reason as part of my warmup. I can really focus in the resonance to my buzz and carry that through my practice session and hopefully into my playing.

It\'s nothing more than another tool in your arsenal.

tobylou8 likes this.
  3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A buzz is a buzz and whether it is French horn, cornet, trumpet, trombone, or tuba makes no difference to me, they're all bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz not music.

4. CalebWayne

CalebWayne Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2010
    I wouldn't recommend it simply because it's hard to switch mouthpieces back and forth. I recently played on a Euphonium (very similar, if not exact same mouthpiece as a trumpet) in a Tubachristmas concert. I went back to playing my trumpet mouthpiece and it felt like blowing through a coffee stirring straw.

5. trumpetman41

trumpetman41 Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    I am not a big fan of buzzing. Although my trumpet teacher was. I made all of my money playing from middle to high c. Don't need to buzz there....

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's just a situation where some can and some can't. I have played brass horns from the top to the bottom and often switched back and forth. Regularly, I've switched from the Bb trumpet to both 'bone and euph' with 6 1/2 AL and 12C and back to 3C, 5C, and & 7C trumpet mpcs. It is my observation that instrumental teachers are more adept at this than pros or beginners.

Too, blowing the real coffee stirring straws seemingly helps set the aperture and those that are small enough to pass through a mpc also are an aid to optimum mouthpiece centering.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have one in my pocket (really)!:-P I recommend using a trumpet mpc if you are going to do it and if you have one, a B.E.R.P., Buzz Buddy or similar device (adds a little resistance). It should not be viewed as a substitute for time on the horn. However, if you are driving down the freeway at 70 mph. (pulling a trailer full of lawnmowers :lol:) it's easier than playing the pocket trumpet (and safer). You can also get 3/8 I.D. hose and cut it to 9 ft (or so) and practice to your baroque cd's (thanks Robin!). At home my wife would rather hear the trumpet than that annoying bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing sound , so I'm in the clear on that front. Whatever you do, make sure you do it correctly. The "something is better than nothing" mantra can get you into some nasty habits. :thumbsup:

8. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    I don't mouthpiece buzz. Without feedback from the horn mouthpiece buzzing is nothing more than a logical fallacy.

Have you ever heard of a woodwind player buzzing their mouthpiece? Have you ever heard of a string player practicing only with their bow?

Buzzing a brass mouthpiece is like fishing without a hook and weight. You'll never learn to cast your line correctly. It's like a golfer taking practice swings sans golf ball. Did you air ball go 50 yards or 200? You might be able to approximate a good swing but there is absolutely no way to determine the outcome without a ball on the tee. There is no way to determine the sound you'll create without a horn attached to your mouthpiece.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Before this gets out of hand, let's look at the difference:

When buzzing on a mouthpiece with the horn attached, we start the tone with our buzz, the horn sets up a resonance and that in turn keeps the chops tuned to whatever note that we are playing. That resonance is what makes lipslurs possible.
    When I take away the horn, the resonant system disappears. There is not enough length in the mouthpiece alone to get an external resonance set up - our chops have to do ALL of the work. That taxes the muscles and breathing system in a far different way. That is why it is not a "substitute" for the real thing.
    A B.E.R.P has a short piece of tubing, actually making it possible to get at least one resonant note from the system. I am not sure what that does accomplish, but enough fine players seem to be getting on OK, therefore we just have to accept it as a possibility for some.

I find that buzzing a couple of minutes per day helps me "feel" how my embouchures corner strength is doing. That often does change my practice priorities later (more lipslurs).

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Move to 4:18 in the following video to get a visual illustration of rowuk tubing method...
    YouTube - [DIBU] Pink Panther 096 - Pink Trumpet - EN English Ingles