mouth piece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, I've heard many woodwind players buzz their mpcs, both to assure the set of their reed and the selection of their mpc. My daughter has over 20 mpcs, but only 5 different reed instruments.

Next time you notice a violin player select a new bow, do observe them airplay as they check its balance and feel. As I don't play a violin or other bowed string instrument, I am utterly amazed that some bows cost hundreds of dollars.

Golfers very often swing with no ball ... their swing being photo analyzed. Object to remove any error in the swing as improves later performance. Too, they use practice wiffle or cotton type balls ... not the real thing. Due to my back injury, I gave up the game.

Serious sport fishermen often practice casts with no water or hook on the line right in their own backyards. Never knew a better fly fisherman than my late father in law who did this quite often, especially so with new rods or reels.

As others say, and I concur, mouthpiece buzzing IS NO substitute for practice with mouthpiece attached to horn, but anyone who can't buzz a mouthpiece would waste their time trying to play a horn, therefore it is a practical method in the learning process. Yes, I'd much prefer that a mpc be attached to a leadpipe (remove tuning slide) or have a like leadpipe for just such use, and if not, a BERP, BuzzMaster or other device of the type to give such resistance closest to actual playing. This may be just a five minute warm-up or the forced alternative to playing, but better than nothing at all.

tobylou8 likes this.
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia