Mouth Placement on mouthpiece...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Easytrumpet, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Easytrumpet

Easytrumpet New Friend

Jan 9, 2015
    US S.C.
    When i'm playing the trumpet should my mouth continue to stay in the same position in the mouthpiece no matter how high i play and how low i play?

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    YES.

Regards, Stuart.

3. Easytrumpet

Easytrumpet New Friend

Jan 9, 2015
    US S.C.
    Why is it when professionals play there faces are going up and down as if they are looking up and down when they are playing musical pieces that require them to play low notes then high notes back and forth pretty fast.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Agree with Stuart,
    The horn may pivot up or down on your embouchure, but the placement on the lips should be the same for the whole normal range of the trumpet..bottom F# to High C.
    Part of my warm-up is to play a pedal to High C jump. I know if I have warmed up adequately and if I have a nice full tone on the pedals, and that will indicate to me that there is enough air moving to hit a High C.

There are some players who use 2 settings on the mouthpiece, like a Hi gear Lo gear, but it is something I don't need to do. I did used to change at the High C to move to a Hi gear setting, but don't do it now. It will be different for different people - the best is to judge by the sound you make.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    A lot of what you are seeing is the jaw movement, and inside mouth cavity changes made by the tongue dropping.

On lower notes, you tend to be using a "Law" sound in the mouth - the jaw comes forward, tongue drops to open the oral cavity. Some it is minimal, others more noticed. As you move up to the higher register the interior becomes more a Hiss, as the tongue moves up, focusses the airstream, and the resultant movement of the horn.

My horn points up when down low as my bottom jaw drops, and the horn points more down then straight as I go higher.

Really - just concentrate on the sound, and don't over analyse what is happening.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The mouthpiece should remain in the same place, although there will be movement inside and outside the mouthpiece.

7. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    Main thing is don't think about it. Think instead about the sound that you're getting. Is it pure? Clean? Resonant? In tune? Vibrating the horn in your hands because it's so well-centered?
    Allow your mind and body enough freedom to get the best sound without agonizing over whether you should move the MP a quarter of an inch. You just hold the horn straight out and blow and listen. Listen is the key word here. Your lips will find the right place if you don't interfere with a lot of theoretical crap.

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Seems like a dry set needs to be adjusted for changing register and the wet set is way more flexible

9. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    They do this to remain in tune, it is a fight with the instrument. A Monette mouthpiece removes the need to do this:

http://youtu.be/cN6hcuEN4W4

Watch any video of Adam Rapa, zero pivoting in the pedal tones up to and above a double C.

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Sounds like a bunch of marketing hype to me. I'm not the best and my range isn't phenomenal but I look nothing like those pics and I stay pretty consistent with my mouth, lips, emboucheur set, and more importantly my posture