Mouth ulcer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by azhiba, Nov 7, 2010.

1. azhiba

azhiba New Friend

Aug 25, 2009
    Hello fellow trumpet chaps!
    I'm having a big (small) problem with a mouth ulcer on the inside of my upper lip (the frenulum labii superioris) and of course it is such a pain playing, but on the other hand I cannot just stop playing for while, can I?
    Anyone experienced this problem before?
    Many Thanks.
    Finn

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi Finn,

Search TM for prior threads on this topic.

In brief, mouth ulcers are usually either herpes or aphthous ulcers. Common names are cold sores, canker sores, fever blisters. Herpes is usually found on the outside of the mouth on the lips, or in the mouth on the hard palette. Aphthous ulcers are usually on the soft tissue inside the mouth, including the tongue.

Herpes is caused by a virus and can be spead to other people. However, 80% of people, by the time they are in their teens, have already been exposed to it. An initial infection may be more intense, and outbreaks tend to decrease over time. Aphthous ulcers are not infectious and can not be spread.

Recurrent outbreaks of both herpes and aphthous ulcers can be caused by stress (both physicial and emotional). This includes mouthpiece pressure, irritation from braces, certain types of toothpaste/mouthwash (in sensitive people), stomach acid (GERD), colds (hence the name "cold sores"), not getting enough sleep, emotional stressors, etc.

Herpes outbreaks can be treated by an antiviral (Abreva is a topical antiviral that is available over the counter). For recurrent outbreaks, your doctor can prescrible a prescription strength topical or oral antiviral (Zovirax, Valtrex, etc.).

Both herpes and aphthous ulcers can also be treated by an astringent (a drying agent), which will help shorted the course of the lesion. The most commonly used astringent is witch hazel, which should only be used externally. There are many other agents that have stringent properties (camphor, calamine, acetone, etc.), but some are for external use only. In addition, Maalox with dephenhydramine is sometimes used to treat aphthous ulcers.

If you need to stop playing, or take it easy for a couple days, you probably should.

It sounds like you have an aphthous ulcer, given it's location. Try some of the over-the-counter remedies, and if needed, take it easy for a couple days.

Mike

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I have had extremely good results using liquid Chlorophyll.

Rinse your mouth with it and even soak a Q-tip in it and let it soak right on the ulcer.

It has a nice minty flavor.

Do it a few times a day.

It works for me every time.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4. azhiba

azhiba New Friend

Aug 25, 2009
    Thanks to both of you for your time. Your advice had been most helpful. I shall see if I can get the stuff from the chemist, first thing tomorrow.

It has been coming and going for months. Thought it was just me applying too much pressure to my lips, which of course could be an important factor, however, it seems to be Herpes virus causing the ulcers, despite strong medication and loads of Vitamine C (10.000 mg pr. day)
    How annoying as it not only hurts but also is sabotaging my playing in the high registres.

5. freeflytrumpetguy

freeflytrumpetguy New Friend

Feb 16, 2013
    Newport News
    I have just taken the past 2 days off with a similar one. It is just slightly outside where the rim presses to my teeth (inside of upper lip) but is still greatly aggravated by my playing. It had barely formed Sunday morning with a near 4 hours of playing on 2 shows sunday night. Based on the above comments, I fit the perfect description of factors the week before. (playing a ton to build up my endurance for sunday, not enough sleep, bad diet) I thought that it has to be something related to all that because I felt a similar soreness on my tongue as well(though no sore ever appeared) Monday I was recording for our variety bands christmas album, and the funny thing is it didn't bother me at all when I was playing. I nailed this super fatty high F on the end of "This Christmas", even after sunday's ton of playing. However, that thing hurts like a SOB the rest of the time. Hurts to eat. So I took yesterday and today off and its healing a bit. But tomorrow I have to play a ton. Been eating vitamin A like crazy, multivitamin, listerine, campo-phenique, and I have sworn I will change my diet and get more sleep... As I sit here thinking of whether or not I want to order chinese... :-( However, it has healed for the most part. I'm hoping I will wake up and its gone. ;-) cheers!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Acutely, you can buy viscous xylocaine 2% over the counter. Also buy a small bottle of liquid benadryl and liquid maalox. Mix 2 ml of each liquid together, than take a Q-tip and paint it onto the ulcer, then play away. Do not apply this liquid any more than 4 times in a 24 hour period if you still choose to us it. Then I recommend taking L-Lysine, 1,000 mg daily with a meal for preventive therapy if these ulcers continue to return.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Xylocaine.......

Isn't that the colorless and tasteless poison the Wesley used to kill the bad guy in "The Princess Bride"?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Possibly... but that mouth ulcer will never come back.

9. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    I'm a big fan of using Vegemite for treating mouth ulcers