Mouthpiece advice needed for Courtois flugel

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Groove Merchant, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Groove Merchant

Groove Merchant New Friend

Mar 1, 2005
    Arizona
    Please direct me to the correct thread if this issue has already been addressed elsewhere. I looked but could not find anything on topic.

Although I have been playing trumpet for many years, I've only now purchased my first flugel, a used Courtois 154G (large bell). I find the stock mouthpiece to be small for my preference and would like to get something larger that will contribute to as warm a sound as possible. This will be primarily used in jazz combo and big band section settings; however, I also do brass quintet work. I use a Bach 1B (22 throat, s2 backbore, "Ch" rim) for 95% of my trumpet playing so am comfortable with a large mouthpiece. That being said, I don't want a large flugel mouthpiece just because it is large, I want one with the best sound.

The advice of anyone who has experimented with mouthpieces on a Courtois flugel is greatly appreciated.

Jack

2. ImprovBeast

ImprovBeast New Friend

Nov 24, 2003
    That's easy man! Try the Courtois 1 1/2c. It's my fravorite peice for any flugel it'll fit in. I say that because the shank is really small and will only fit in french tapered receivers.

Hope that helps.

Mario

3. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    If it's any help, Joanne Dean flugelhorn with the Buy As You View Brass Band and Helen Fox flugelhorn with Fodens Brass Band, two of the top brass bands in the UK http://www.4barsrest.com/rankings/default.asp both play Antoine Courtois flugels and both of them use Denis Wick 4FL mouthpieces....beautiful sounds are produced by each one of them.

4. Groove Merchant

Groove Merchant New Friend

Mar 1, 2005
    Arizona
    Reviving this post and looking for some clarification on a few things:

Thank you TM for helping narrow my flugel mouthpiece search from the multitude of options out there. I have a Courtois 154 so will need the "bach taper" I assume. Please correct me if I am wrong on that.

Based on earlier TM posts and asking around a bit, I have decided to give the Denis Wick series a try and am considering the 2 and 4 sizes, with the 4 being the front-runner. Unfortunately, I have found conflicting information out there. Some folks tell me the FL is what I need for the Courtois, yet at least one mouthpiece website indicates that the FL is only available in the "standard taper" and not the "bach taper." Which has the right taper for the Courtois, the 2F/4F or the 2FL/4FL?

Finally, it seems that a preponderance of excellent flugel players prefer the 4 series to the 2 series. I assume both are deeper than the stock Courtois 3 that I have. Please provide any experiences you TM experts have had with the Wick 4 vs the Wick 2.

Thanks in advance,

JackBack to top

5. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I had some more success with the GR FD cup instead of the FL cup on my Courtois 154. It was a subtle but positive improvement.

6. lmfmis

lmfmis Pianissimo User

Dec 24, 2007
    Courtois uses small morse taper.

Try the Flip Oakes mouthpieces. Affordable and best I could find. He has two sizes, both very deep and give round sound. The bigger/deeper "exterme" is quite a monster...maybe start with the WT one :D

7. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Oh well...... in 18 days, this thread will have its 8th birthday....

8. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Find out which mouthpiece Miles used on his Courtois flugel and try it.

9. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Flip's mouthpieces are actually made by Mark Curry and are deeper than Curry's own line. He makes a M, Standard, and Deep cup in all his rims. I prefer the standard cup which I played for years. Warburton has the same kind of variety and his flugel pieces are very good. I'm currently using a Bob Reeves (pricey) and am very satisfied with it.