Mouthpiece and range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    I have been using a Vincent Bach 5C for all of my trumpets since I started several months ago. My Olds came with a #3 silver plated MP. With the #3, I can easily hit a solid high B where with the 5C I can only squeek out a mid scale D. (so far)
    Can anyone explain why this is so?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The Olds 3 is a smaller mouthpiece than the Bach 5C. For most people, the upper range is easier on a smaller mouthpiece, at the expense of tone and the extreme low register. That's the short answer...

3. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hi Bruce,
    I've been at it a little longer than you (40 years minus 15 or so in between), and I rec'd my first Olds 3 when I picked up my Olds Recording. It's quite a fun piece, a little sharp in the bite dept., but a nice, bright sound. I'd stick with the 5C and master that first. You'll find later that your range will increase along with your other skills and that the Olds 3 will always be there to play with. Guys like Doc Severinson played a 5C or it's equivalent for a long time. It's a good piece to work with (I prefer the 3 and the occasional 1 1/2C but that's me).

Ed

4. Finlo

Finlo New Friend

Nov 6, 2009
    SW Minnesota, USA
    After playing the typical 7C all my life, I am right in the middle of trying a number of different mouthpieces. I guess it takes some of us longer than others to figure things out. But I am simply amazed at the difference in sound character and quality that a mouthpiece can make! I never would have guessed that the impact would be so significant. I'm having a ball trying new and different sizes, styles, and configurations. Saddly, I was not aware that one needed to be a rocket scientist to shop for a new mouthpiece...the combinations are endless.

The verdict is still out, but thus far I have tried a Denis Wick 3 Heavytop and a 4E, a Stork VMS6, a Curry 3 Star with a blackjack blank, and several from FoKus...a P3 [Principal] in a 10.5, the Lead and the Artist, also in 10.5. I love the P3. Lowell, founder of FoKus, has been an incredible help to me. What he told me made a lot of sense...

"I have found, that a wider rim gives you more Tonal volume, but less
    endurance, and a narrower rim, gives you more endurance but less tonal
    volume.

A larger cup, in total cubic capacity, gives you more tonal volume but
    makes it harder to play high, while a shallower cup, makes playing
    Higher Longer easier, you get less tonal volume.

A smaller hole gives you more resistance, and easier to play to the
    “edge” of the tone. While a larger hole puts more air into vibration,
    but not much project.

The Back Bore that is wide, give you more tonal volume, but less
    projection, and a narrower Back Bore gives you more projection but less
    tonal volume.

You can see that every thing is a trade off, one thing for the other."

- Lowell Stevenson

For what that's worth...best of luck.

Finlo

5. progmac

progmac Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2009
    i'm having trouble understanding what notes you are talking about. if you're saying you can easily hit the B above the staff with one mouthpiece and you struggle with the D over middle C with the other, that is a pretty astounding difference, more than should be attributed to a mouthpiece. i would suggest that kind of difference is coming from how tired you are when you are trying these notes, or perhaps something you are dramatically changing, for whatever reason, when you switch the the other mouthpiece.

6. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I have to agree with progmac. With that kind of drastic difference, I would think that the 5C is simply far too big for you. The Olds 3 is similar in cup size and depth to a Bach 10C. There's no point in using a mouthpiece that doesn't "fit".

7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The Olds 3 is a v-shaped cup, also, so if a person increases the pressure with the mouthpiece, it can help hit the high notes. Not with great tone nor with terrific endurance, but it's quite a different mouthpiece design from the Bach mouthpieces.

In my opinion the Olds 3 mouthpieces are terrific as weights at the end of curtain pulls but as trumpet mouthpieces they're just a step above a Herco nickel plated mouthpiece.

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    The reason the Old's #3 was easier for you to play, could be because it was the better mouthpiece for you, if there was only one size that worked for everyone, then only one size would have to be made, don't worry about what size others play ,use the right one for you.

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Oh yeah?? Them's fightin' werds!:-P

10. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    If anything, V-cups are harder to play in my experience. They also tend to produce a darker tone. I don't see how they would require more mouthpiece pressure. High mouthpiece pressure is never acceptable. I can say that comfortably not by my own authority, but by everyone I've studied with or read from. If you don't like Olds mouthpieces, well, I don't care one way or another. If he can get to B above the staff with the Olds and no face mashing, more power (and practice) to him.