Mouthpiece bag/pouch recommendations?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jgotteach, Jan 5, 2011.

1. jgotteach

jgotteach New Friend

Mar 27, 2010
    My son has used a Bach 1894 Nylon Quad Mouthpiece Pouch for his extra mouthpieces for the past couple of years. Recently, however, the lining has started to leave black imprints (in the criss-cross pattern of the fabric) on his mouthpieces that are hard to remove. Does anyone have a recommendation for a bag that won't leave marks on the mouthpieces? Thanks!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Monette mouthpiece cases.

3. jgotteach

jgotteach New Friend

Mar 27, 2010
    They look like great cases, but I'm afraid my teenaged son would feel a little uncomfortable using a case that has "Monette" on it. On the other hand, if it had the matching mouthpiece inside, he'd be thrilled!

4. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If you can find a Cavallaro mouthpiece roll it's great! I have a couple & wish I had more! :thumbsup:

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I had one of these - I gave it to a friend of mine. Nice little mouthpiece pouch and I used it a lot when I was carrying my horns around in my Reunion Blues triple bag.

6. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    +1

These are great. It just takes a little practice getting the mpc out without having it fly away, but once you get the hang of it, there is no substitute.

If the name is intimidating, just put some duct tape over it.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
  8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm of the thought that it is mold that is often breaking down the fabric lining of many cases and that is a real pain to remove from a mpc or instrument, not the least that it is a health hazard. Cleanliness, cleanliness, cleanliness ad infinitum.

While I do use mouthpiece cases in transport, in storage they are cleaned and kept in air tight pharmaceutical vials. I do not utilize the holes or fitting in instrument cases to transport mpcs.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  9. jgotteach

jgotteach New Friend

Mar 27, 2010
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I found the Cavallaro roll at Musician's Friend. It says it has a lambs wool interior, which seems like it would be better than the fabric inside of the Bach case. It's hard to tell just by the picture but the Pro Tec pouch looks like it has the same fabric liner. The Quad Leather and Bob Reeves look like they're well-made. Just wondering what the interior fabric is made of. It makes sense that cleanliness is the key. Is there a recommended technique/routine for keeping mouthpieces clean in-between the trumpet baths?

10. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

The Pro-tec mouthpiece cases are good
    The Monette ones are great