Mouthpiece bag/pouch recommendations?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jgotteach, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Since I started my comeback in February 2006, I've had Protec quad and a separate one for my trombone / euphonium mpc. Still, as said prior I use these only for transport NOT STORAGE. A water rinse and a mpc brush before you leave the gig will help greatly, and do not put in cases wet. The hand dryers in many washrooms do a good job of drying. I don't suppose laundry of a Protec case would be out of the question from time to time, still I'm also thinking of that "culprit" vis rubber that stains silverplate as likely has been used in cement form to bind the lining to the shell during stitching.

As for the Cavallaro ,,, there are many who are allergic to lanolin as come from sheeps wool ... I'm not one of them as I use same as skin balm and on my instrument slides.

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I've been using the Cavallero for more than 15 years--still have the first one I bought--still looks great and functions just like it did when new.

3. jgotteach

jgotteach New Friend

Mar 27, 2010
    The Cavallaro sounds like a good option right now. I don't think the lanolin will be a problem. I'll pass on the information about cleaning the mouthpiece frequently.

My son has talked wistfully about Monette mouthpieces, so it probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to present him with an "empty" Monette case right now. :-)

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Had I not gotten my Protec cases either as a premiun FREE with my purchase of a Protec gig bag for my euphonium or bought second-hand trumper mpc quad case from another who determined he wasn't going to carry around so many mpcs and such was surplus to him, AND that a Cavallero was available to me at the time, I likely would have gone that route whereas I had been very satisfied with such sheepskin lined cases for firearms. Too, once wore a WWII AAF sheepskin bomber jacket that I hated to part with but eventually it's smaller size didn't allow me to wear it anymore since I got larger. Now wear thinsulate or down filled winter jackets.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  5. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    These Cavallaro pouches are good. No lint so no worries about blowing foreign material down the leadpipe.

How about soap and water with a mouthpiece brush. Use a high grade silver polish and apply with little pressure with your fingers.

My question is how to "unstick" screw on rims.

6. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    :think:

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Penetrating oil, heat, and some light taps with either a rawhide mallet or nylon faced hammer might be a good start.

8. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    The thought of PB Blaster or WD-40 near my mouth though, ick.

9. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
  10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If an overnight soak in Dawn brand dish detergent with water initally at baby hot, immersing only to depth just beyond screw doesn't allow the rim to loosen, light taps with a rawhide mallet may help. I wouldn't use a nylon mallet in this instance as such may induce a flat in the rim where it isn't welcome. Otherwise, I'd suggest a visit to a tech. Afterwards, I'd suggest the application of purified lanolin to the threads to deter it ever happening again, just as I use on valve caps and slides (all my mpcs are one-piece). Don't detest the use of such lanolin on a mpc as being non-hygenic whereas it is used in many lip balms.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011