Mouthpiece buzzing - how important is it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by krmanning, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Hugh Anderson

Hugh Anderson Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2011
    Buzz the lead pipe first.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Except for just attending church, everywhere I go I've a Kelly 5C and a David O'Neal BuzzzMaster. In an old pillow case in which I've threaded a draw string I've a piece if tubing that will slide over the BuzzzMaster, and I use a funnel of the long narrow type used to fill transmissions at the dip stick. Now if I could only play melodies lipping on a trumpet or bugle like I do on the mouthpiece etc. I'd be a much better player but such has definitely helped me center many notes.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I use mouthpiece playing when there is no alternative. When traveling, on getting back to my hotel room, I take my mouthpiece and roll a towel around the bore end. I play on it as if I were doing my routine at home on the horn, and vary the resistance of the towel as I warm up. I found that by doing this, when I return home, I have more stamina when playing my horn, with better control and power. So I look at blowing a mouthpiece into a towel more as endurance training.... Just as Coltrane blew into his sax with a towel stuck down his bell when he practiced.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    C'mon Doc! All that do-re-me you got, you can help Terry out and buy a Buzzard ($24.95) or BERP (21.95)! ROFL

5. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Why get these contraptions; When a you can have a mouthpiece in a towel, SLURP (priceless)

SLURP - Spit Laden Utility Rag Piece

tobylou8 likes this.
  7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    That's a good one!

Makes good sense too. Its kinda like practicing with a bigger mouthpiece, and then when you go back to your
    regular one it sure seems to play easier.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Playing the mouthpiece into a towel might provide some face time, but I believe that mouthpiece playing is best done without added resistance. One might have to factor in the added resistance from significant others and neighbors....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    My wife has learned that walking around barefoot in a room where I am practicing can get yourself
    a wet foot.

10. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Some cats have just "got it". CT is one. You instantly know it's him even when he's buzzing on the mpc alone. Talk about having your own sound!