Mouthpiece buzzing - how important is it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by krmanning, Jun 5, 2013.

1. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    I used to B.E.R.P. all the time when i sat in my car. No i ha a pocket trumpet.
    I buzz the leadpipe occasionaly.

grz.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sure.... That is if you are into a lighter... smooth... Ooooh Hum... Good night and turn out the light...:zzz: kind of sound.:noway:

Common Big Guy... show me that Ray of Power attitude once again:whistle:

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Terry Warburton also makes and markets David O'Neill's BuzzzMaster as was the source for the one I have. Yeah, I admit buzzing has a similarity to maximum snoring, and anyone who snores that loud my Docs tell me is a candidate for sleep apnea and cardio problems and you just don't want the C-Pap gadgets.

4. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    After watching a Charlie Porter lesson on YouTube, I quit mp buzzing.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    "Straight Line" approach video? Never heard of him so I googled and got a video. Website has "bugs" so I'm not going there.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Mouthpiece buzzing can be harmful if we allow our throat to make clean transitions between notes while slurring. A very slight glissando is OK. Like many of the methodologies, it is best to learn from someone who knows what they are doing.

7. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The RAY OF POWER provides support, not resistance. If you find it adds resistance then you are playing wrong. Of course Maynard, Doc, Miles, Chet, Dizzy and many others play wrong too. :cool:

8. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I commute over two and a half hours a day, so I buzz a bit because I have the time.
    Although the hose trumpet idea will be tried, as I'm tired of spitting all over myself!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Why yes... Yes it does.

The is where the logic goes awry. If you add CONTROLLED resistance TO the RAY OF POWER [which is my approach to the horn, in part thanks to VB and in part thanks to Maynard]... then you have amazing power and control! Give it a try VB.

Disclaimer: This is not for the beginner as the resistance can destroy you if you do not have the ability to know when the resistance is too much.

10. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The "controlled resistance," as you put it, is one of the good by-products; one of the symptoms of THE RAY OF POWER; something that happens unconsciously.

Unfortunately, in the orchestra we seldom get to play like Maynard. :-(