Mouthpiece buzzing - how important is it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by krmanning, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Hugh Anderson

Hugh Anderson Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2011
    What in the world are 'controlled resistance' and 'Ray of Power'? Sounds like the meeting of some engineers and some religious people.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Don't know about "controlled resistance" but the RAY OF POWER is my discovery--cut and paste from another post:

"...the Vulgano 'RAY OF POWER!'

The finicky thing about air is that, yeah, we must learn the mechanics but then forget about them, because under the stress of performance, as tension sets in, our bodies will lie to us, and it will feel like we're moving huge amounts of air, breathing deeply and supporting when in fact, we are not!

For this reason, I rely on some Vulgano Voodoo and the RAY OF POWER. It involves the Root Chakra, which is located directly at the base of the spine, also known as the coccyx. The chakras have their own mystic qualities, I guess. I don't know for sure, but they do seem to be located in parts of the body where bunches of nerves meet. (The Vulgano version is situated half way between the places we do our number one and number two in the restroom.)

In practice and in theory, imagine (and feel) a ray of some sort (red is the most common mystic color associated with the root chakra) shooting down into the ground while playing. For high notes, imagine (and feel) a more intense ray. If we practice this sitting in a chair, we can notice all kinds of muscles come into play, which happen to be the same muscles used to 'support' the air stream. By taking attention off of the mechanics and experiencing the mysterious, magical and not yet patented RAY OF POWER we can avoid some of the tension involved in 'trying hard.'

Nothing mysterious and magical here really, but the RAY OF POWER does permit me to play with a relaxed but working body."

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Vulgano brother, I don't like that stuff "shooting into the ground" through my body while I'm playing ... been there done that and it is painful ... and called sciatica. Too, S1 and S2 above my coccyx are now fused as are L3, L4, and L5. Period, I've a stiff aching back that now attempts to avoid further injury and pain.

4. Inkwolf

Inkwolf Pianissimo User

May 26, 2013
  5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    If you have problems getting a buzz started, try this-

Place your finger over the end of your mouthpiece, start your attempt to buzz and release the backed up air by removing your finger from the end of the mouthpiece. Once you get the feel of it, you should be able to do it with less and less back-pressure.

Some think mouthpiece buzzing is useful and just as many feel that it is a waste of time. Whatever works your you....

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My 10th grade biology teacher called that area the "Taint". :roll:

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Controlled resistance is my (gmonady) approach to increasing control at the mouth end of the player. It is gained by using the highly patented SLURP device, which is an alternative "buzz" technique involving insertion of the mouthpiece into a highly engineer fabric woven to specifications to enhance digital maintenance [also known as the hand towel]. By practicing with the SLURP technique you add graded resistance to the bore end of the mouthpiece and play, ever increasing the resistance on the SLURP device over a graded interval of time set by the player. The exercise is stopped once the first signs of fatigue sets in (the "controlled" part) which is loss of accuracy in hitting buzzed note intervals.

Now Add this front end technique to the RAY OF POWER concept on the root end (Chakra) you now have both ends of the spiritual and physical plane at the highest level of control of the power generated by the VB approach. So in a way, you have the Onadian ability to provide ultimate (or utimate as we are known here on TM) control over what Vulganian energy can be provided.

Remember... Without the techniques designed by gmonady... there would be no controlling Vulgano Brother... and in theory... he could utimately rule the Trumpet World... Mwah...hah...hah...hah...hah...hah...hah...hah!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Too bad you didn't know me before you went through this. I could have saved you this surgery by prescribing the "Back-2-Life" device. It works in about 70% of the patients I have seen slated for back surgery for sciatica.... Thus, keeping them out of the hands of those orthopedic surgeons specializing in this type of surgery, that I refer to as "coccyx suckers".

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe this is illegal in most any state except for Nevada.

10. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    It's getting a little "deep" in here.
    Didn't think I needed my boots in a trumpet forum.
    ROFL