Mouthpiece buzzing vs. horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Mar 1, 2008.

1. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    I remember when one of my teachers would have me bring my horn slowly to the mp while buzzing intervals (legato) just like your trying to do.I would have no problem until I introduced the mp to the horn.My nice smooth slurring would instantly start popping and breaking up.Due to the added pressure the trumpet adds I think that most of your interval slurring shoud be practiced on the trumpet since its what you use to make beautiful music.Its okay to warm up with the mp but the trumpet is needed to perfect it.A great place to start is with the ARBANS 2nd. chapter on slurring and legato playing,especially pg 44.These helped me tremendously not only what they were destined for but for all aspects of playing.Good Luck on your comback.

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

It seems I've only discovered what you've all known, and I had already believed to be true. There is some utility in mp buzzing, as far as it goes, it seems like it can help some with endurance, and muscular development, but has little value in terms of musicality. Tonal quality (pinching of air excepted). I can see where that would be helpful for someone whose tone isn't quite as open (can a tone be open?) . . . I can feel the difference between the 14A4A and the 14 MP's I have when I buzz them.

Surprisingly my tonal quality is good - warm - up to G above the staff, and if I'm feeling good the quaility of High C is even pretty good. (On the horn that is).

Thanks again.