Mouthpiece Buzzing why should we do it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Johnctrumpet, Feb 23, 2012.

1. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I have a long (nearly an hour) commute to work in the car. It is one way to get some "Practice" in while sitting in traffic. Just put some music on and buzz along.

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I’m not trying to be negative here. If you think that you need to buzz on your mouthpiece to gain something on your horn then by all means you really DO need to do that. I’ve never seen a pro on a video, in person or in a book they wrote mention anything productive about buzzing that couldn’t be done on the horn, other than they like to do it. It may help someone get lower and higher register easier, it may help someone else center notes, and that’s great ! All of this can be done with the piece attached to the horn also. IMO only, it’s comparing apples to oranges. I try to be down to earth and sensible in my approach to playing, and do the same thing for my students, and have never seen an advantage to buzzing that couldn’t be done on the horn. More horn time = improvement… more buzzing = …… better buzzing ? Sorry if I ruffled feathers.....it's not intentional. :-)

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    You can't do the siren with the horn attached. And, if you're stuck without your trumpet for an extended period (a holiday, camping, or whatever), good luck keeping your chops up without a mp. Some professional players carry their mp around in their pockets ..... not sure why they would do that unless they are buzzing. I could go on .....

No need to be negative. And no need to suggest that, if we THINK it helps, well, then, as psychiatric cases, it probably does. We're not crazy. :)-?) That's the viola players.

Turtle

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  4. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Pros don’t leave home without their horns……..

5. Johnctrumpet

Johnctrumpet New Friend

Feb 17, 2012
    London
    I think it is important to understand that when one practices anything, one must have have a goal of what they are trying to achieve, i.e. mouthpiece buzzing is used to improve vibrations. If it does not work for you, you can either try to understand why it doesn't work or simply leave it. I personally don't use mouthpiece buzzing that much only, maybe 30secs (out of a 2hr practice session) at a time. If however I can't seem to get my lips vibrating I might then mouthpiece buzz. The main goal is not mouthpiece buzzing but maximising lip vibrations.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'll have to find the others, but I have method book(s) with interval training on mpc only. The one I can find is by Max Morley (PhD. in trumpet Stephen Austin University). Pretty sure Bud Herseth was a proponent of mpc buzzing without trumpet attached. I don't think that anyone disagrees that playing the combo together is the most beneficial practice method. As far as pro's don't leave home w/o their horns, Louis Armstrong was known to carry his mpc in his pocket at all times. Oh yeah, some guy named William Chiaiese used to drive his band mates nuts on the bus with his free buzzing and mpc doodling. Pro enough for you? :D

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yep, day to day, there is a noticable change in my ability to vibrate my lips. As I select an mpc, I buzz it, and if it seems to work well, into the instrument it goes. If not, I start the cycle over again with another mpc. Except when my wife is with me, a Kelly 5C and my David O'Neill Buzzzmaster by Warburton often pass some time together.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are VERY good reasons to buzz. It does not replace the horn, rather it gives us a chance to focus WITHOUT the help of the trumpets standing wave. When used in a teaching environment it can aid intonation and breathing too. About 5 -10 minutes a day is enough.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    There are several videos of Herseth promoting mpc buzzing.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have never, at any point by any of my teachers, been told to buzz on the mouth piece. But I do it when I feel it helps me stay "in shape". I find the same need as rowuk stated, that it provides a different focus than when the horn is attached. I work though solos differently, phrasing attempts differently, only to discover, this variance sounds so cool when trying the same technique with the horn attached.

I buzz primarily when driving in the car, on a day that is so busy with schedules that it may impact on my "trumpet inserted" practice time. Otherwise, I really do prefer playing with the trumpet attached, which is typically most days of the year.

I also use buzzing on a daily basis when I am on trips related to my other profession, and therefore do not need to cart may horns along with. I also found (and I know this causes rowuk to cringe) that when playing into a towel, mouthpiece buzzing increases my stamina on the horn, the next time I reattach the horn to the mouthpiece.