Mouthpiece Buzzing why should we do it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Johnctrumpet, Feb 23, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    YES!!! Sweet validation!!! ROFLROFLROFLROFL

2. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Warm ups and studies by James Stamp and Michael Sachs both advocate buzzing. I'd have the take those guys seriously.

coolerdave likes this.
  3. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    Begining players I have taught have had thier progress hindered by mouthpiece buzzing alone. It has created a tense, forced sound. This is mainly due to them having to create resistance instead of playing with the resistance of the gap in the receiver. I have had MUCH more success with students buzzing on the leadpipe without the tuning slide. This still uses the resistance of the gap but opens up enough for them to create a nice open buzz.

Everyone teaches different, everyone develops different. What matters is the progress we make and the fact we are making music. As a teacher, player, and now a member of the trumpet maker world, I want to do what has the best result.

I dont buzz, but if you would like to go ahead.
    TD

4. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Mouthpiece buzzing is a good activity while stuck in traffic. It's hard to play trumpet and drive but it's easy to buzz along with the sounds of traffic. The only problem is you might get pulled over. I got pulled over for mouthpieces buzzing. The officer thought I was using drug paraphenlia. But when I explained it was a trumpet mouthpiece and I was just exercises he shrugged his shoulders and gave me my drivers license/registraion papers back. What a hoot.

turtlejimmy likes this.
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You got me thinking, if I roll the joint big enough... I am definately switching to a Bach 1C!!

6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    If you're starting with beginners, having them buzz on the mouthpiece first doesn't seem like the best idea to me, because I've always found it requires more lip tension (because of less resistance?)

This being said, it seems to me that once one has gotten used to playing without overtightening, buzzing can be intelligently used to improve certain areas.
    Any exercise done without thought can be harmful; this doesn't to be an exception. I just don't think we should condemn the buzzing simply because of this fact.

I usually buzz for less than five minutes at the start of my warm up. I will do a couple relaxed longer tones to get my vibration focused, follow with some sirens, and then a couple of breath attacks and articulated notes. I then plug it into the horn. I find that it helps center and set me, as well as helps me to relax (I can always feel when I'm forcing the mouthpiece).

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The first thing that we play during lessons are buzzed notes. I buzz the note, they buzz back. The teacher has an excellent opportunity to make sure that it is being done right. IF the teacher worked on body use and breathing FIRST, there is no excess tension when exhaling into the mouthpiece through the lips causing them to buzz. As a matter of fact, the absence of the trumpet makes the air disappear faster, making a low tension buzz easy.

If you are not teaching by emulation, then you are doing your students a disservice. That is kind of the problem here. Copy and Paste of advice with no indication if the READER got enough information to do whatever correctly. That is why real lessons with a real trumpet teacher are always advantageous. It is also a source of criticism that I constantly have here - people teaching are not asking questions, rather broadcasting questionable answers. A lot of stuff comes up during lessons and real teachers share that stuff in context and are interested in alternatives that could help specific situations.

If you are not asking questions, you are not paying enough attention.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Vizzutti's Book 1 talks about a little bit of buzzing for warm-up.
    I have to say during the first few months into my "comeback", I thought I could build up my chops faster with buzzing and the pencil exercise .... oh and some breathing exercises. Done in my car during my commute ( would be an interesting poll).
    The breathing exercises were good
    the other stuff ... well not a good result. In fact it I started having bad things happen. This isn't a dig on the pencil exercise or buzzing. Some players just need an instructor to get them through things. I was lucky to have had enough years of playing under my belt to know enough to stop.

9. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hac7ClgCnN8

When I first saw this video, I tried doing a C scale on mp...yeah...just as the guy said, I was all over the place. Since then, I do buzz...though I confess, not NEARLY enough. When I am sucking more than usual, I will buzz the material I am trying to play until I can do it acceptably...
    It almost always smooths it right out.

I think I will make a commitment to buzzing more.

Also tried leadpipe buzzing....as it's not chromatic like mp buzzing, I see no point in it whatsoever.

And yeah, with mp buzzing, there's much less resistance, so one learns breath control very effectively...also, I hold the mp with only two fingertips, so it trains me to play with minimal pressure.

I tried buzzing while driving, but like the slogan said, "Buzz Driving IS Drunk Driving." I find either task hard enough to do well, that I don't need to combine them...they both deserve my full attention.

As for what they guy said about buzzing for a half and hour...well, I wish I had that kind of discipline.