Mouthpiece "buzzing"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BflatAnklan, Nov 18, 2006.

1. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    Hello Manny!

I was hopeing you could explain to me how you use Mouthpiece buzzing in your practicing. I found in an article you said that it was an "indispensable" part of practicing. I don't know much about mouthpiece buzzing, so I hope to learn something new! :)

Thank you for your time!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Matthew,

I find that buzzing the mouthpiece is a very liberating thing if approached positively. That is, an opportunity to sing without the encumbrances of valves and such. If done properly, the mouthpiece can sound like a voice. An odd-sounding one, to be sure, but personal to you.

Interstingly, I don't buzz the mouthpiece much except for demos and the occasional stiff morning lip. But when I do, it's always about singing. "Maria", "On the Street Where You Live"... pretty tunes. I say that I don't buzz much anymore because I don't need to. My sound is basically where I want it to be and my lip rarely feels bad in the mornings.

I think buzzing is a nice way for people to develop their sound where they want it to go. It shouldn't be a chore. It should be enjoyable.

ML

3. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    Very cool, Thanks again!