mouthpiece buzzing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Sep 23, 2010.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    can someone tell me if it's normal to lose buzz when going into higher range? I'm fine when i'm just buzzing the mouthpiece, but once I start playing the horn, I lose the buzz around fourth line D. Is it normal to buzz higher with just the mouthpiece?

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Spend more time on the horn. As you develop the D will come. Don't worry about what you can do on the mouthpiece. It is the trumpet you want to play.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    When you say you lose the buzz at 4th line D, is that the top note of your range? If it is, then mouthpiece buzzing w/o the trumpet attached can be beneficial. It may look are feel goofy, but it does work. If you can play above 4th line D and you can't tell if your buzzing, the fact that a note is being played, means you are. No buzz, no sound (but air). To make my point more clear, place your lips around the outside of the rim and blow. What sound did you hear? Was it just air or a note? It was just air because there was vibration of the lips into the mouthpiece to send the note on it's way through your horn. Mouthpiece buzzing is but one exercise you can use to develop your chops. It is not a silver bullet. DAILY practice is the closest I can offer in silver. Regards.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    If your range abruptly stops at 4th line D, you may be cramming the horn in your face too hard, especially considering that you can reach higher if the mouthpiece. The grip you have on the horn makes it easier to increase pressure without noticing. Try to hold your left hand flat, palm up, rest the horn's valve cluster on it, takes your little finger out of the pinky ring and see if you get different range. If pressure is your problem, you should get 2 or 3 half steps above your 4th line D with a progressively thinning sound.

My teacher makes me do LOTS of MP buzzing, which I used to suck at, but I'm getting better. I find that my range is about the same on the MP as on the horn.

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    GOOD advice here.

6. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    thank you all for your input. I guess I didn't ask my question properly. I can hit a comfortable A above the staff when I'm playing my trumpet. My question is why do I lose the feel of a buzz after third line D. It doesn't happen when I'm just buzzing the mouthpiece.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If you ask most accomplished players, "Do you feel the buzz when you play?" most will tell you no.

If you can play the D - and up - stop worrying about what you can feel. Too much thinking can get in the way.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Veery makes a Veery good point (sorry, couldn't resist) . I can't "feel" my buzz when I play either. I had this discussion with a fellow player and he insisted he wasn't buzzing when he played cause he couldn't feel it. You should practice with you mpc as a part of your practice routine. It will strengthen your chops. Make you more aware of your sound, and you use less pressure (can't use your arms), all good. Try to make mpc playing musical, you will see improvement.