mouthpiece change question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Sep 14, 2012.

1. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    I can make any mouthpiece I want (within reason) slot however I want it to. Just because you or anyone else (including players on this site) slot into a random mouthpiece well doesn't mean it's good for them or you. People have little honeymoon weeks all the time before they find out a piece isn't right for them.

The rim on that sucker is pretty sharp and the cup is pretty big too...Either your one of those players that can work it out OR you are one of the poor guys that gets all messed up and confused because there stinkin' teacher thinks they are the Miyagi of trumpet playing. Even the really advanced players on this site can't really help you unless they are looking at your face... if you have the money a good private lesson with a good teacher is really helpful.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The 1-1/4C is a HUGE mouthpiece. I don't know why a band director would tell someone to switch to one. Sure, most people can get a really nice tone on a big mouthpiece, but if you have to do much playing in the upper register, it will wear you out quickly. See if the director has a 1-1/2C for you to try - it's a lot easier to play than the 1-1/4C (and the 3B, for that matter) and still has a nice sound and slots well.

3. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    HAHAHAHAAROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

omg i just checked the mouthpiece and it says 1-1/2c

i thought it was a 1-1/4c

guess i was wrong

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My teacher, who was in high school in the mid 50's, started on a 7C. Then was told to go to a 10 1/2 C because, "The guy across town played one and sounded great on it". So he did. As he got into playing more pro gigs, someone told him he needed to play a 1 1/4C because, "That's what ALL the pros use"! So he did. He was playing jazz and swing and finally top 40 stuff. He could do it, but he hated it. Realize, there wasn't the wealth of info available almost instantly (no Internet) as there is today. He eventually ran into John Stork who advised him what to do. He's been happy ever since on a Giardinelli 6 series. If the teacher doesn't play the trumpet, she really is only parroting what she has heard. Her advise makes as much sense as me telling a sax player what reed to use (hey, they're all made of wood like stuff. Right?). If it's not comfortable, don't use it.
    Here's a link to John Stork's website. If you have to make a change, at least arm yourself with reliable info from someone whose livelihood depends on getting results!
    New Page 1
    The whole site is great (IMO!).

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I guess you were. Play the 1-1/2C quit yer complainin'...

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    To all those who believe the director is a fool (and it may be so), I know a few very fine band directors who are superb trumpet players and know exactly what they are talking about. Good advice from them would be quite a gift to a young player, right?
    Yes, I am turning into a curmudgeon and quite frankly from personal experience with both mouthpieces, a 1 1/2C is a heck of a lot easier for most people to play than a 3B - as long as it fits them!
    Rich T.

7. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    still nobody has tried to help me with my original question.

is there anyway i can slowly switch over to a 1-1/2 c without my tone/range suffering in the process?

8. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    No.

And what do you mean by slowly switching mouthpieces? Either you switch or you don't, simple as that.

9. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

What kind of music? Age level? etc.

My feeling is that unless this is a college level or professional and classical ensemble you should not change to something that big before owning a solid High C. I mean the mere fact that you have expressed trepidation about making the mouthpiece change kinda indicates that;

The HORN OWNS YOU...

Most of the time I own my horn. I tell it what to do as supreme lord and master. Not a lot of the kids here can say that. Not honestly. Master of the kind of stuff I play that is. I know I'm not particularly good at stuff like the "Flight Of The Bumblebee" or "Carnival Of Venice". But ask me about Tower Of Power chart or the average Stan Kenton lead part? I will play them credibly at least. And I don't really care that I'm not an ace at classical music. If given the opportunity I can nail down the solo cornet part for a local community band. And am often asked to do just that. But in my heart I know there are better players at the game.

You'll never see me audition for a major symphony. Nor have the desire to. Hey maybe I should. Just as a joke to see wat happens lol...

My point: Unless you are playing for a truly fine fine classical ensemble demanding the most perfect of Teutonic blend and perfectly in tune brass section each with immaculate tonal voice? Then your band director is full of poop. Doesn't know what he's talking about. Likely he isn't even a trumpet player.

You see the trumpet player ALWAYS sounds best on the mouthpiece he can support. Fewer clams, more confidence, rapid improvement, far better control.

If you are a strong trumpet player and can support the 1-1/2 C? Go for it. But your whole post reveals that you are not ready for it. If it was up to me I'd tell the director to stuff it. Going on the premise that this is some kind of amateur or less than college level ensemble.

So far gmonad has the best reply. Let's quote that one again:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If I stop drinking, will I develop shakes? Can't answer that one either.