mouthpiece change question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

I still haven't learned what kind of ensemble you play in, age range, playing level etc.

Because unless you are playing at a serious college level or better there is no need to play such a huge mouthpiece. And even then you could still get away with something easier to blow.

After you OWN a High C, like all night long, never get too tired to play it and at any volume loud or soft? OK then consider some kind of switch to the larger pieces just to get the characteristic symphonic tone. But not before then.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    im a senior in high school

only reason im switching is because it feels better than my 3b

the rim is a bit more curved so it doesnt feel as sharp as a 3b
    yes the diameter of the rim is a bit larger (by about .7 of a millimeter)
    but the cup is not as deep as a 3b

so far im liking the change

3. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

As you wish. I still find the band director's insistence on a change to the Bach 1C a seriously negligent piece of advice. For what good purpose does it serve? It's just a high school band for God's sake! There's no way that one would need the lower overtones that the Bach 1C provides. Especially in trade for the loss of endurance and usable register.

Own the High C FIRST! Then switch to any mouthpiece you can still maintain the C on. Having the solid High C that one can play all night & day long at good volume means you have what I call "an embouchure. Anything less than that can still be useful and musical but indicates weak or stunted development.

Why sacrifice good endurance, power and accuracy for a tone full of lower overtones which usually won't project past the flute section anyway? You're trading comfort and solid register for clams, weakened tone and 2 to 3 times the work to make the tone project well.

It's just a bad deal over-all.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Dan, I'm sure you mentioned having trumpet tutor in a previous thread (tone is getting progressively worse I think) What is their view on your mouth piece change and your Band Director?

I do not want to be unkind but you are getting a lot of great advice from some very experienced players on here and at the end of the day telling us that you will go the way of what your Band Director wants which I suspect you think is what you you want.

Are you expecting us all to say "Yes Dan that's a great idea" to everything. (I mean are you only looking for us to affirm all of what you want to do), are you actually looking for advice or are you tying to find a way to correct your tutor. I know this sounds harsh Dan and that is the last thing I really want to be but you have, posted on here that in effect you don't trust your tutor (the Euph mouthpiece exercise) you don't want to trust the advice of Local,TobyLou and a number of others on mouthpiece choice. What do you actually want.

I am sorry if this sounds unpleasant but as I see it if you ask for advice you thank people for it an filter out what is relavant to you not correct the people giving it (and as I say that includes you trying to correct your tutor by asking about one of his exercises on here)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    DaTrump likes this.
  5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Just nitpicking here, but the mouthpiece in question is a 1-1/2C, not a 1C. Not as drastic a change, and when compared to a Bach 3B, I find the 1-1/2C easier to play for both range and endurance. A 3C is even easier to play, though, with little loss of richness of tone.

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    There has to be a time when we can come to the conclusion that giving any kind of advice here is like trying to drill a hole in concrete with wet pasta.
    As most high school trumpeters will do, this kid is going to do what he wants to do.
    Rich T.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Too funny!!! ROFL

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Wet Celery's not much good either

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    But it should have more flavor!

10. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    Just an update after a week my (solid) range has increased to a high D (from a high C)and squeaking out a f every now and then so far there havent been any abnormal side effects to my tone either.

changing so far has proved beneficial