mouthpiece change question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Just one question Dan, In all this how's your endurance with the new piece

2. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    it is easier to play for longer periods of time

about 2-3 hours of playing above the staff before my lips start to feel tired depending on how much i slept the night before

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    About 2 to 3 three hours ABOVE the staff before your lips START to get tired?
    Honestly, I think you are another high school player exaggerating your abilities or we all need to start taking lessons from you.
    I know some very fine players who wouldn't make that comment.
    Rich T.

4. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    2-3 hours?! That's a bit rich!

Come on, not much music for trumpet is all above the staff. The only stuff I can think of is lead big band pieces and baroque music for trumpet, even then the latter is played on a piccolo.

And besides, if you're doing that much practice all above the staff then your chops are probably warped, which is NOT good. Go blurt out a few pedals.

5. daniel117

Jun 28, 2012
    Ill admit that my range may not be the highest in the trumpet section, highest would be my friend garrick with a solid F above high C
    but my pedal range is the best because no one else in the section practices pedal notes as much as i do, all the way down to double pedal C with a semi-good tone (at least good according to my private teacher, i think it sounds like poop haha)

and by above the staff i mean F-C range we don't have music that goes higher, and by 2-3 hours i mean of band rehearsal time

so if i reduce it down to only playing then it would be about an hour of straight playing

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  6. smokin valves

smokin valves Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2011
    The 3b is not a small mouthpiece. A lot of players (not just my opinion, it's in the sticky Jens linderman thread on mpcs) have pieces that are just too big. Maybe try a 3c as the tone difference isn't that great between the 1 1/4 c and the 3c in my playing. See what you find but I think you will end up back where you started if you go buying a load of pieces. I think just ignore the director, or even better, tell him you are now using the piece he recommends and see what he says. It will be interesting to see if he "notices" a difference in your sound.

7. daniel117

Jun 28, 2012

1 1/2c actually and ive tried a 3c before but it feels too small i cant seem to get the air out of the shank as easily as i can a 3b or 1 1/2c

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Houston, we have a failure to communicate. I know no one including local pros that play above the staff for that long. If I have a 1 hour rehearsal, I might actually play 30-40 min, and the singer blabs away the rest. Hard to take such claims seriously.

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I doubt you even know the sheer amount of irony in that!

tobylou8 likes this.
  10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Guys, it is getting so deep in here it is at the top of my hip boots. Gotta leave before it goes over the top, know what I mean?
    Rich T.