mouthpiece change question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Sep 14, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Half the songs in the ORIGINAL songs in the EBQ song book remain above staff throughout most of the songs.... THAT is when I discovered massage. If you can massage the lactic acid out of the lip muscle and the edema out of the soft tissue, I CAN make it through a 3-4 hour performance.

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    That makes my lips hurt, and it reminds me why I usually turn down small group jazz gigs.

3. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    btw why does everyone here on TM seem to think deep(ish) mps are a bad thing?

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Why should it be thought of as a bad thing to have a deep mouthpiece? I play on a Jettone, Schilke 14A4a and find them comfortable for my trumpet playing... These are pretty shallow pieces, but I use a Flip Oaks 3 on my flugelhorn... which to me is like swimming in the deep end of the pool. I love the feel of this deep cup. I can move my lips to not just bend but embellish notes in a way I could never do with my shallow pieces, and yet maintain great control. So from my experience, deep cups give some flexibility to be creative with sound.

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Most players cannot handle the deep cup, especially developing players like yourself. And most of the time is more work than is worth.

6. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Yep, moving to a 1.5C is like playing into a toilet bowl at first, let alone 1 1/4C!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yeah, but youse guys is proffesional's!!!

8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas

Actually, the 3B and 1.5C are close, with the 1.5C being a tad shallower

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

The flexibility to be creative with sound is what I like best about my Prana mouthpieces. But, they are tough. Especially with range ..... So, for now, I'm back on the shallower pieces.

Turtle

10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    The key to a cup's true measurement is it's actual volume.
    A trip to the Kanstul mouthpiece comparison site can give you an idea of volume vs depth.
    Jens Lindemann plays a mouthpiece GR made for him. It is around 16.43 MM in diameter which puts it "around" a Bach 7 and Schilke/Yamaha 11 and 12 sizes.
    However, his mouthpiece has considerable internal volume giving him a freedom to play just about everything put in front of him, be it very high or low with the sound he wants.
    Daniel, if you haven't done so already, read the sticky by Jens. If you don't want to take advice from the seasoned players here, fine, but when a world class player such as Jens takes the time to post his very learned experiences, I'd suggest you listen.
    The 1 1/2C is a larger diameter mouthpiece that produces a very "scintillating" sound. It is a very popular mouthpiece for symphonic players, including more than a few principals in major orchestras. While you may be able to handle its demands for a very well trained embouchure, it is not meant for younger players. Neither is your 3B. That mouthpiece has been used by jazz great Dave Douglas and classical great Rolf Smedvig.
    You can do what you want, but don't say you haven't been given some thoughtful, experienced advice.
    Rich T.