mouthpiece change question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Thats an interesting point Rich T I've been given an assymetric lead piece and actually so far I like it. What did suprise me was the depth of the piece obviously the volume is lower than a symetrical piece with the same depth (I won't pretend is magic). I feel more comfortabe with the extra depth over a shallow piece being used to wick cornet mouthpieces but it gives me the support of a more shallow model.

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    This discussion has been an interesting read ! Lots of good info being given to this young man. What is interesting here is that a HS band director is telling his kids what equipment to play !!! I can’t get over that, and I saw it with one of my students. I got him finally on a piece that fit him well and the band director insisted that he play a Bach XXX like everyone else in his section and wouldn’t back off. The only conclusion I come up with is it’s not about the personal development of each student, it’s all about the band sounding good so the band director continues to get his paycheck….NOT…. This went on for months. I finally had to go to the school and have a conversation with the director and told him point blank this young man is my TRUMPET student according to HIS parents, not yours, he is your band student. They are paying good money for private TRUMPET lessons for him. I have him playing the TRUMPET equipment he needs to be playing, his parents put out good money for it, so back off and stop stressing the kid out, (which he was). The parents were afraid to rock the boat. That was the end of it and the student ended up first chair in the concert band and jazz band as a Junior. Back in my HS days the director didn’t dare tell you what equipment to play…..period. By the way that band director was a drummer……

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    As cornyandy brought up asymmetric mouthpieces, here is the link to John Lynch's website. The New Asymmetric Trumpet Mouthpiece
    Besides giving plenty of info on the mouthpieces, there is some terrific info other aspects of playing.
    Rich T.

4. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Exactly! I often have this debate with people I play with when it comes to my Bach 1D vs. a 3C. Many argue that the 1D is "smaller" because its "shallower." When you look at the Comparator, however, the 1D is only slightly shallower than a 3C (different cup shape, where each MP is actually deeper than the other at certain points) and is quite a bit wider- therefore the 1D is a little larger in volume than a 3C, but not by much...Gotta love the Comparator!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  5. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Rich, I agree with several other posts, here. I'm guessing that Daniel means 2-3 hours at a full band practice, where, with all the teaching of different sections, he's probably only playing for about a sum of 30 minutes, maybe 45.

PS: I can play above the staff, high f on the staff to high d above for several hours- especially in a practice with copious breaks. That's just normal playing range.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I recently measured the cup size on a flute player I know... I am pretty sure it was a B.

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Exactly, Dave.
    I would be willing to bet he is a nice young fellow who didn't realize there are those of us with many years/decades of playing and can get to the
    truth of the matter very quickly.
    I also believe he may have been here about 4 years or so ago as a junior high student. Might be wrong about that, though.
    Rich T.