Mouthpiece confusion

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by laurie, Jan 18, 2005.

1. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    Gday all
    I need some mouth piece help. I have a Deniss Wick 4b cornet mpc and a Bach long shank 3c cornet mpc. What I want is a bach long shank mpc that is similar to the 3c in rim and diameter with a cup depth similar to, or marginally shallower than the wick 4b. I am not able to check out or test play a range of mouthpieces as the nearest stockist is a 500klm round trip. I was after a Bach mpc as they are the most easily obtained in my neck of the woods. I have had a look at the various mouthpiece charts on the internet and they have left me completly confused. At the risk of turning a short post into a long one perhaps I should explain why I want what I want! I find the Wick 4b mpc too "wooly" and the Bach 3c too "bright", Also, the short shank mpc brings the shepherd crook too close to my face. The Mpc is to be used in an Olds A6ST cornet for concert band playing.
    Is there a mouthpiece Guru out there who can help?
    Cheers
    Laurie
    Australia

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi Laurie,

I know exactly what you mean. If I pick up the cornet after playing trumpet for a while I feel like I'm going to smash the mp into my mouth.

I also use a 4b on my cornet but on the trumpets I use GR mouthpieces specifically their 3 series. They have a whole series of cornet mouthpieces with differing depths all with a 3 rim. They're expensive but great mouthpieces. Ted Sparx also has cornet mouthpieces worth a look at which are made by GR to his specifications.

Try this link:http://www.grmouthpieces.com/cornet.htm

There is info on the Sparx mouthpiece on this page. Ted is also a contributor so you could probaly PM him.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Trevor

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I was another of those guys who used Wick on cornet and trumpet. Specifically I had the RW4 for cornet and a 4b on trumpet. I also was using a Wick 4FL on flugel but found that the intonation was "dicey" so I went back to the Jupiter 7 that the flugel came with (and have stayed with it ever since).

All of the time I was using the Wick I enjoyed the sound but hated the loss of endurance (rim shape?). After some discussions with Ted Sparx I purchased a Sparx #4 for cornet. It was like heaven. Same sound as I was getting from the Wick, but with lots of comfort and excellent intonation. It also seemed to open up the horn just a little (more streamlined throat/backbore?).

Once I was happy with the Sparx and knew I'd be staying with it I wanted to get similar for trumpet. I spoke to Bruce Lee at NortherBrass and we talked about the experiences I'd had with Wick and other mouthpieces, what kind of playing I did, etc. At the end of the day he recommended that I go with a GR 66***. Although the Sparx #4 is a touch smaller (0.650) than the GR 66 (0.660), the difference is accomodated by the deeper depth of the cup. The rim shape/bite/alpha angle is identical to the Sparx 4. I find no problems at all going "back and forth" between them.

I would be getting a GR for the flugel but I'm not certain that I'll be staying with the Jupiter that I currently have. I play it so little that it really isn't in the equation at the moment. I suppose if I were to get a really good flugelhorn that I played a lot I would want to match that one up as well.

Anyway.... those are my experiences. You could do worse than trying out the GR/Sparx bits 'o brass.

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    You found my table confusing? :shock:

Oh well, the best mouthpiece tables are hard to follow.

Here is a direct link to the Sparx website: http://www.sparxmusic.com/

I concur that a Sparx 4 would be an excellent choice per your description. You can email Ted Sparx and ask him what he recommends for your situation, but I'll bet the #4 is the way to go.

Other options that might be less expensive:

A Bach 1 1/2. Slightly bigger and would take the edge of the brightness off some.

A Laskey 70 ( http://www.laskey.com/ ) although it is expensive too.

A very interesting option might be the Rudy Muck 19 cornet mouthpiece ( http://www.ibowtie.com/storemuck.html ). Wide, soft rim, chambered throat so it doesn't get too bright. But not real deep like the Wick V shaped cups.

It is interesting to note that the Bach "measured" sizes are really different from their specs. To get to the equivalent of a 1 1/2 Bach measured you would have to go to a Sparx #2.

My first recommendation would be to email Sparx. If that is cost prohibitive, try the Bach 1 1/2 C. If you want to try a Bach 1 1/2 inexpensively, you could try a Kelly 1 1/2 C cornet mouthpiece -- outstanding Bach copies in Lexan ( http://www.ibowtie.com/storekelly.html )

Jim

5. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    GDay
    Thanks for your replies to my mouthpiece question. As soon as I have a chance I will follow up on the various links you have all so kindly provided. I located a helpful supplier here, so my next trip to the city will be mouthpiece testing time.
    Cheers
    Laurie

6. petrox

petrox New Friend

Jul 8, 2008
    Hi everybody !
    I'm getting so interested to buy a GR cornet mouthpiece, but even after a wonderful assistance given to me from Brian Scriver of "GR technologies", I started having some doubts about the proper model to choose. I play on my 1946 Martin Committee cornet an old Giardinelli 7C and was wondering to find a GR one, which could be as similar as possible to the Giardinelli, hoping, obviously, to get a better sound than the one I get using the Giardinelli, I need a quite brilliant sound and almost trumpet-like, but the cup should be medium deep as in the G. 7C, in fact when I wish to have a dark-fat sound I use a Denis Wick 4. I am in Rome and unfortunately we don't have GR dealers in Italy, who could make possible for me to test and find at the end the right model.
    Sincerely, reading all the specifications of the GR mouthpieces I got quite mixed up and since they are kind of expensive, I'd like to be sure and feel confortable in choosing the one which could be the best for me. Unfortunately I couldn't be able to make any comparison with the Giardinelli mouhpieces, as it doesn't exist any comparison chart !
    Thanks to all of you who will be able to direct me to the right choise !!!
    Paolo

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    For inexpensive, try the Kelly mouthpieces. Plastic, sure, but the Kelly 4B or 5C might work out for you.

Tom

8. petrox

petrox New Friend

Jul 8, 2008
    Hi Tom,
    thanks for your kind reply ! Well..I don't mind to even spend for an expensive mouthpiece as far as it works fine for me. I was kind of wondering what about a GR cornet mouthpiece #3 / 66 ! Do you have any idea what it could be like ?
    I heard about the Kelly mouthpieces, but after all I'd be happier with a GR, as far as the proper one for me !
    brgds/Paolo