Mouthpiece discoloration

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jsmiley89, Apr 4, 2011.

1. jsmiley89

jsmiley89 New Friend

Jan 23, 2011
    Iowa
    Hi all- for the last couple of years every mouthpiece I've had (silver plated Bach and Schilke's) tarnishes on the inside of the cup after about a month of playing. I use the word 'tarnish' loosely- it turns all kinds of colors- yellow, then red, then blues and purples. I've only heard of one or two other people experiencing this- my best guess is that it has something to do with the acidity of my saliva, but as I said this is a guess.

Anyone know what is going on with this process??
    Here's a link to what this thing looks like now:
    1008001213.jpg picture by Justin_Smiley-Oyen - Photobucket

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Is it a mood mouthpiece like a mood ring -changes colors depending on how you feel? Just joking (hey there might be a market there however). Sounds like characteristics of your saliva. Gold plating is a little more expensive, but might solve the problem.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I guess the real question is whether or not it affects your playing. If it doesn't mess anything up, who cares?

4. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    I'm pretty curious on the subject as well. A friend of mine has a GOLD mouthpiece that has become purple within the cup exactly the same as yours.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  5. jsmiley89

jsmiley89 New Friend

Jan 23, 2011
    Iowa
    Woah- I was thinking the same thing as SteveRicks on this one- thought gold plating might not discolor like that. That's crazy!

And no, it definitely doesn't affect my playing- it's actually kinda cool to show off! -I was just wondering what exactly causes it!

6. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    It will certainly keep other people from wanting to play on your mouthpiece!!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It looks the way metal does when it has gotten too hot from grinding. Maybe your blowing too hard! ;-) Unless it tastes funny (metallic) I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe more fruit and less meat would fix it.

8. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I think it's part of the tarnishing process, in some wicked way.

I polished mine up with a polish and it all went away...

Do you use that mouthpiece on a daily basis? Mouth pieces that I use daily never get discolored...

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    If it is occurring with silver, I doubt gold would have the same reaction. Try a little silver polish (yes, it removes a thin layer of silver but so what). Then see how it looks.

10. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    Huh, I get the same thing with my mouthpieces, but I wash mine out every day after I practice so I'm able to avoid a lot of the discoloration. I've never had a clue what does it.