Mouthpiece exercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mrwilliams13, Feb 9, 2010.

1. mrwilliams13

mrwilliams13 Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2009
    Hickory, NC
    ANy advice on practicine with just my mouthpiece to build up my chops? I travel spending time in my car got me thinking about taking my mouthpiece with me to "practice" while I can't have my horn with me. I really am enjoying everyones help on my other post. Also w=anyone know of a beginner jazz group in the foothills of NC loking for a rusty player?

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    As with many other trumpet issues, mouthpiece buzzing is somewhat controversial. There are those that feel any exercise for your lips is beneficial while others say that mouthpiece buzzing does not help because it is not the same backpressure that you feel with the trumpet itself.

I think it is an individual issue. When I first started my comeback 8 months ago, I did a lot of mouthpiece buzzing and it is my impression that it helped me regain some flexibility. As time has gone on, it seems to be less beneficial now. But, there is an alternative. There are several devices on the market that are compact and easy to carry that help provide feedback similar to the actual trumpet. Names such as "B.E.R.P." and "Buzz Buddy" come to mind (I think that is what they are called). They are adjustable so that you can set them up to match your trumpet and then just use them for buzzing practice.

As far as what to buzz, I would just buzz the same warm-up exercises that I would play on the trumpet - long, low tones, scales, lip slurs, etc. I don't think there is anything magic at that point.

Good luck.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I like playing Clarke and other scale studies with just my mouthpiece...

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Simple tunes and songs. Treat just the mpc like a musical instrument.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uhh, if we just buzz in our car, it is about as effective as practicing whilst hopping on one foot. It can be done, mind you, but 'taint easy!

At its best, mouthpiece buzzing helps improve intonation, and that takes concentration, so buzzing whilst driving deadly speeds isn't always the best of ideas!

That said, learn the "ode or hymn to" Stamp, the basic exercise developed by James Stamp, practice at home, get it down, then take it on the road.

Safer for the rest of the drivers, and good practice technique as well!

6. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    You can simulate backpressure with your finger

depends on how you hold it, I do it with my little finger

I also buzz each time I'm in a car. It is good because I do not have feeling I am wasting my time in traffic jam

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    an 8 foot garden hose attached to the mouthpiece with a garden funnel and you have a natural trumpet for the car that will move your saliva to a harmless place and let you play all of the baroque stuff for clarino in C.

It works and my nat playing definitely benefits, it also keeps the dry cleaning bills down!