Mouthpiece Express.com Problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by etranger, Jan 12, 2010.

1. etranger

etranger New Friend

Oct 16, 2009
    Europe
    Have you ever had trouble with MouthpieceExpress.com?

I am having a big problem with them right now, so I was wondering if any of you had similar experience.

My shipment was lost. I paid extra insurance amount to MouthpieceExpress.com in case t gets lost/damaged.
    Since I haven't received my package for 8 weeks, and both customs and the local post office claim nothing arrived, I wrote to MPE, but they simply said I should wait longer (even though the site states that I should claim it as lost after 45 days for int'l orders). After that e-mail, they stopped replying. Some customer service, eh?

BTW, they did not reply to questions about the merchandise even BEFORE I ordered, so now I am angry at myself for trusting them :-( The only good thing is that I listened to myself and first ordered some small items for about $100, and left the bigger one for later (don't worry, I won't be stupid and order from MPE.com again).

Wha should I do?

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I have used MPE a lot, and never had any problems! Somethimes it arrives quick, somethimes it can take several weeks! 8 weeks is a long time, but it may still arrive!
    Where do you live? Italy seems to have a lot of customs problems regarding music equipment.

3. StoporIlltoot!

StoporIlltoot! New Friend

Jan 7, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've made one purchase with MPE. Overall, it was a good experience, and they seem to be on the up & up.

I'm assuming this shipment was sent via post. The cheapest method for doing such would be USPS -> your national postal system. Even if you were provided a tracking number, the information USPS provides is not comprehensive, and mostly shares information you already know. Conversely, had the package been shipped internationally with UPS, FedEx, or DHL, you would be able to track it point by point. The only drawback, I believe, is that it typically would not show the Customs clearance status for the tracking number. If I had to guess, I'd say it is "in bond" right now. I doubt customs will share this information with you.

I do think it's a bit dodgy that they are now ignoring your inquiries. If it makes you feel any better, that has been par for the course in several of the many cases I've ordered from abroad. If I were you, I'd make one last attempt to resolve this with the vendor, then I'd contest the charge with your credit card company. Also, in my experience, the best carrier in and out of Europe has been DHL. Request that the vendor send the package with that carrier - an account only takes moments to set up.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If the total worth shown on the customs declaration form is high enough, you might be waiting to hear from your local customs officials so they can get some more money from you.

One year, living in Germany, my family got some Christmas presents in February for this reason. It was cool getting the presents, but a hassle going to the nearest customs office.

Good luck!

5. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I've recently made a purchase from them and the transaction was entirely satisfactory. I was worried about shipping to Canada, but there was no problem and would do business with them again. I suspect the problem may be with customs.:thumbsup:

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I used Mouthpiece Express several times over the past few years with no problems, and always received prompt and courteous service.

However, this changed recently. I placed an order, which needed clarification. Over the course of a week I emailed several times, and received no reply. I called several times that week, and no one answered the phone either. I left at least one phone message, which no one returned.

I probably should have given it more time, but after a week of no email response and no one answering the phone, I asked for help from the PayPal Resolution Center. Within minutes, I received and email reply from Mouthpiece Express stating that they cancelled my order. They added that since I asked PayPal for help, they would not refund my money (even though the order was never shipped), and that I would have to get my money directly from PayPal.

After a few more days with this impass, I called their sister company, Star City Music. As soon as I explained who I was and asked why they refused to refund this cancelled order, they hung up the phone, and wouldn't answer when I called back. Later that day, they posted a refund with the following message: "Please do not ever order from us again & please quite calling our Store" (their exact spelling).

I emailed Robert Chernault, who I believe owns both companies. My understanding is that he's a great guy. He acknowledge receipt of my email, but never replied.

My suggestion is that you email Rober Chernault directly. PM me if you can't find his email through Google or by running a WhoIs on their domain name.

Until they fix their service problems, it might be better to order from DillonsMusic.com or Music123.com or WWBW.com, all of whom offer great customer service and have excellent return policies.

7. etranger

etranger New Friend

Oct 16, 2009
    Europe
    @ TrumpetMD: I hoped I was the only one with such a problem. This rude, not answering your mails/calls behaviour is appalling...
    Thanks for the R.Chernault idea. I mailed him, also.
    I guess I will receive the same "Please do not ever order from us again & please quite calling our Store" reply sometime soon :D

I've ordered on the Net many times before, but this is the first time something like this happened...both the order missing and this awful treatment by the customer service...

I sent another e-mail to see if they're willing to solve this peacefully, and if they do not reply in a few days, I am going to solve it with my credit card company.

8. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Interesting responses with some customers, including myself happy with their service and some totally unhappy with the service. I guess I'll think twice about using them again.:-(

9. etranger

etranger New Friend

Oct 16, 2009
    Europe
    I know that int'l packages can get stuck at customs, but MPE.com site says I should report it as missing within 45 days, so I was worried that if I report it as missing later than that, they would tell me I should have reported it earlier. Catch-22...

Right now I have neither my money nor my order...and I am desperate for 3 valve guides... :-(

I'll never trust Mouthpiece Express again...

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I had a similar experience with Hickeys. I am sure that the organization is OK, the same with MPE. My rule is if you are not comfortable, don't do it - even if the price is the best on the planet.

My business experience is that shit happens and we cannot always rationally explain it. Do business with people that you trust. There is no punishment greater than NOT doing business with someone. Everything else involves effort on your part, and the losers are simply not worth it. PayPal and the credit card companies are reasonable ways to keep the possibility of damage minimal. The local better business Bureau can be useful for getting something in writing to claim your money back.