Mouthpiece falls out of new trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by BigBandBandy, Apr 10, 2009.

1. BigBandBandy

BigBandBandy New Friend

Mar 26, 2009
    Illinois
    I just got a brand new Yamaha YTR-2335 student trumpet. It came with a new 11B4 mouthpiece, which I love and find that I prefer over the Bach 7C that I had b4, the 11B4 is equivalent to a 7D I guess. Anyway, when I insert the mouthpiece, it hits a point where it can't go in any farther, (I think it's hitting the lead pipe) but it's still loose and needs to go in more. I think the mouthpiece taper doesn't start soon enough or maybe is too long. Now, here's the funny thing, the mouthpiece fell out last night and hit the hardwood floor and put a little dent in the mp where it inserts into the trumpet. Now the mp goes in as far as it did b4 but now it fits snuggly because of the dent. It works fine now but I want to know y it would do that in the first place?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You have 3 choices:

use the dent as a workaround

remove about 1/16" at the end of the shank of the mouthpiece. (for DIY a file is good)

have the receiver moved until the mouthpiece fits

my choice would be #2 - shorten the mouthpiece a bit. This is a student horn and the possible mismatch of mouthpiece length/gap is negligible.

3. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I would have returned the horn, and asked for a new one! It's obviously something wrong with it..:)

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If the horn came with the mouthpiece, and they don't fit together right, one or the other is defective. You could take it back (if you bought it locally) and show them. A try with another 11B4 mouthpiece (unless there is a bad batch of them) should reveal which has the problem, horn or mouthpiece. But ROWUK's file solution is probably the easiest to get you going.

v

5. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Have you tried any other mouthpieces?

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Bud Herseth claimed that he got the best tone
    out of his trumpet when his mp´s were 2-3 mm
    to short, i.e. there was a gap between the mp
    shank and the edge inside the receiver of about
    2-3 mm. My teacher, Bo Nilsson, tought me the
    same, and I still see to that this gap is there.

7. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    I sugget to return the horn ! It might be a problem with the mouthpipe ( too short inside ) .
    btw, 11B4 from Yamaha has 16.46mm inner diameter , and Bach 7D has 16.20mm inner diameter . these two mp are not equivalent . I also a play a Stolzel 3C - 17mm inner diameter , but a Bach 3C has only a 16.30mm inner. very big differnce !