Mouthpiece Fitting

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BudBix, Aug 11, 2006.

1. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hi Manny,

I'm wondering how you approach fitting your students to a mouthpiece. In particluar do you recommend a smaller inner diameter to players with thinner than average lips and larger sizes for folks with thick lips? Though I am interested in other aspects too.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi BudBix,
    I have a collection of "standard sized" mouthpieces for my students to try. I have found no correlation between fat or thin lips and mouthpiece size. A decent 7c(many are trash!) is good piece to start with. When they start to practice regularly, the mouthpieces can get bigger, unless they want to become lead players.
    After 2 or 3 years most of my students end up with something around a Bach 1 1/4, Schilke 18, Yamaha 17C or D or Monette B2 or 3 (I do need to get some GR mouthpieces - I have read so much good stuff about them!).
    It seems to be very important to the beginners that they can play "high notes" as soon as possible. That is why I don't force the size issue until they are practicing very regularly. All of the bad habits during the first two years are a curse for the next 10!
    MOST IMPORTANT: stress that nobody should ever buy a mouthpiece alone! Take a knowledgeable someone along and play to them - up close and far away. What sounds good up close is only significant if you are playing into a microphone or somebodies ear. It needs to work for your audience too!
    Robin

3. oneeyedhobbit

oneeyedhobbit New Friend

Dec 4, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Two or three year students are playing Monettes? Apparently, I was taught by an instructor who was well behind the times.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I keep an eye open on eBay for deals on Monette non-Prana mouthpieces. My "stock" of mouthpieces covers the handful of students that I have. The pitch-center thing works for me, the rims are comfortable. Again, bigger mouthpiece ONLY if the kids are practicing enough!

Robin

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, BB, that's the general rule. Of course there are always exceptions but I don't don't guide anything I do by exception but rather by what seems right at the time.

After that, it's listening and observing... a little gradual change where it's needed. I don't believe theres anything too mysterious about it at the first levels. After the first bunch of years, the student needs to decide what's best.

ML