Mouthpiece Gap ... seems important but seldomed discussed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jul 14, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay.. I read some of the links Robin put up about trumpet specs and mps ... wish I could understand it.. it's looked really cool.. (colored graphs and everything!)
    so Mr Shilke has an article on mp gap ... said it was really important for horn intonation.. now I have had one person mention to me about checking my mp gap...
    I can't even imagine how all these different mouthpieces can work on different horns...
    So what is the "real deal" .. does anyone but a select few here check it... is it something you wouldn't check unless you were having intonation issues .. Does Bob Reeves have a patented Gap Alighment too?
    Sincerely your thoughts

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I got interested in checking my gap when I read that Doc Severinsen recommended a particular gap for his Destino trumpet. Since I got my Monette Prana mouthpiece which tapers to a razor edge and seems to hug the receiver the whole way in I haven't worried about this any more. I tried a longer shank on my Wedge mouthpiece before that but found it was then too long for all my horns... And I've decided pretty much I'm not worried by gap which matches what other players tell me too (when they don't say "huh?").

--bumblebee

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Playing on a Yamaha Xeno 8335 RGS with a 14C4 GP, and sometimes other GP mouthpieces, I hope they well fit together regarding gap issues ! But I may be wrong …

4. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The gap is very important, and it appears that they take this issue much more seriously in England than we do here in the US. I was in London recently, and found that British trumpet and cornet players are so mindful of the problem that they have even put up signs in the subway to help spread awareness of the issue. Everywhere I went, there were signs reminding me to "Mind the gap". It was amazing.

bumblebee likes this.
  5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkmclPnAy1A

Absolutely correct!

--bumblebee

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    my wife has an older Getzen "Doc" horn [1969] and it has always played open but when you got around F or G above the staff the intonation got wierd. Some notes were flat and others sharp, didn't make sense. A couple of years ago it needed a new leader pipe and when my friend and great tech put on the new pipe he discovered that the gap was over 1/2". He adjusted the gap to the correct specs and the intonation issues disappeared. Yes - the gap is important.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

Those English folks are so nice to their trumpeters!

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Can any brass technician adjust this gap? And are they going to know what the correct specs are?

Turtle

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Turtle,

This gap is whole step wide, and its neglecting can cost your health.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :lol:

So, it's not a chromatic gap then?

Does the tube sound better after the gap has been adjusted?

And does the Pope ..... (never mind) ....

Turtle