Mouthpiece Gap ... seems important but seldomed discussed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jul 14, 2011.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    That's how I would measure the gap -- but I wonder how I would check my mouthpiece shank is flush against the receiver all the way in?

--bumblebee

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The two measurements would be equal.

3. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Thanks Dale, but I think I need to draw a picture... I don't mean flush against the end of the receiver but to check that the taper of the receiver precisely matches the external taper of the mouthpiece. And maybe that doesn't matter...

Kind regards,
    --bumblebee

4. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Don't you respect her for her Mind :roll:
    Here is a good article on mouthpiece gap by Lipshurt
    The Mouthpiece ?gap?

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Is there a gap in here head? And does she mind it? ROFL

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Oh......:oops:

Well, if the taper doesn't match, and the mouthpiece goes in close to the right amount, it will never seat. It will rock back and forth, pivoting from either the small end of the mouthpiece or from the outside edge of the receiver, depending on which way the taper is off.

Seems like we have two distinct topics going in the same thread...:lol:

7. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    In fact, as for all women, I respect everything about her, her mind, her personality ... and her sense of humor.

Interesting article, indeed. Thanks.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    As part of my experimenting with mouthpiece design, I took 5 identical (?) mouthpieces. Before I modified them, they played pretty consistently the same. Then I machined 2 of them shorter, and machined the tapers on another 2. This gave me a range of gaps: 0", 1/16", 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4".

The mouthpiece with the 1/8" gap played consistently better - slotting, response, intonation - ON MY TRUMPET.

I have also found that the more "loose" i,e, unsoldered joints there are, the less efficiently a trumpet plays. I have also found that the most critical parts of the trumpet are by the mouthpiece. This is why I do not recommend any multi-part mouthpiece configuration (tops, back bores, sleeves etc). A single piece to the same dimensions will always outperform these.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

That's exactly what I'm dealing with ..... Prana B2S3. I checked the gap with it on my trumpets and found the gap is perfect on two of them (1/8 inch) and two of them are around 1/2 inch. That's pretty random. Two are just about perfect and two are way off?

Getting the gap to 1/8" on the ones that are now 1/2" would entail shaving metal off the Prana?:shock:

Should I take it to Portland, and let Monette do it? Do you guys think it's worth it? Or, can I get the two trumpets adjusted? I'm stil not clear on that.:dontknow:

Turtle

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  10. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I was going to suggest you get the other two trumpets adjusted, but see you've thought of that (and it should be possible).

An alternative idea is to check the gap on your horns with less expensive mouthpieces, and see how things change for you by modifying them first. If you get similar gap measurements to your Monette, and you get the improvement you like by modifying your test m/p then that might be something to discuss further with Dave+Co at the Monette shop.

However, I do not know if the "gap experience" with one mouthpiece is transferable to another, and bear in mind that modifying the mouthpiece for the two trumpets that have the larger gap will make the gap even smaller on your trumpets where the gap is currently okay.

--bumblebee

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011