Mouthpiece Gap ... seems important but seldomed discussed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jul 14, 2011.

1. ottoa57

ottoa57 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2010
    Macomb, Mi
    Here is a great tool, that makes checking the gap a breeze...

GAP CHEK

really is a great little tool...

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Okay, I'm trying to visualize how they'd change the trumpet to change the gap ....... Would they take off the mouthpiece receiver, cut it a bit shorter, and re-solder it?

If it's that easy ........ I'd much rather change the two trumpets (or at least one).

Turtle

3. ottoa57

ottoa57 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2010
    Macomb, Mi
    My opinion is I would not mess with the trumpet itself...the receiver was designed for the trumpet itself. Mpc maker have different ideas on what their shank OD's are...it is far better to adjust the shank,,or have the shank cut for Reeves sleeves...than to alter the trumpet receiver. The GAP has been talked about in these pages many, many times,,, I would do a search for this....there is a lot of good discussion on the subject...

All the best...

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I'm not 100% sure, but I would imagine a tech would either mill out the receiver slightly, or use a small pipe-expander. (This is for your case where the gap is larger than you want.)

--bumblebee

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Actually, a GAP search yields no matches ..... and "Mouthpiece gap" gives you a lot of unrelated stuff to wade through. It might be faster to build a trumpet.:dontknow:

The point here for me that's making this difficult is that the mouthpiece cost more than most of the trumpets I'm trying to match it's gap to. And I only have one of them, but four trumpets.

The Monette is no different than most of my other mps, they all seat in about the same ..... So, the issue on the two horns that have too big a gap, it's the same for any mp. Even a few Shilkes I have, which are a little different, but not much.

That's why, to me, it seems better to adjust the trumpet(s). Also, two of them are just about perfect right now, and adjusting the Monette for the other two will make the gap on the first two TOO SMALL (which, may be worse).:stars:

Turtle

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If all of your mouthpieces give the same gap, then it would appear that the non-compliance is coming from your trumpets. The solution would be to have these modified.

No tech would try to open up a receiver with an expander! The taper tolerances are absolutely critical, and also the wall thickness of the receiver is normally too great.

The back hole though the receiver is normally larger than the minor diameter of the taper, so there is a step which pushes against the beginning of the lead pipe. To open up the taper means that the minor diameter will be increased. This is quite a tricky process; some techs will not attempt this on the horn. Some of us have special cutters which can work to a degree, however using them freehand creates the possibility of damaging the beginning of the lead pipe. In all machining operations, it is imperative to have the workpiece firmly fixed so that you can confidently measure the cuts as you make them.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks Ivan!!

Sounds tricky ... But I imagine so would be adjusting the Monette, as the shank is already razor thin.

The BEST solution for me would be to get another Monette mp, to fit the other two horns, and leave everything else the way it is. But, as you probably know, that would be costly and probably take some time too.

It's really in the details, isn't it?

Turtle

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Jazz music is in the details? :lol:

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Yes, details AND consequences. Whatever you do will have an effect on something else you hadn't thought of - or isn't that the chaos theory?

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

That's not the only area of non-compliance I'm experiencing from my trumpets.:lol:

Turtle