Mouthpiece Gap ... seems important but seldomed discussed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jul 14, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I spent some time with the Olds Studio (which I just got), finding this sweet spot for the tuning slide and, even though the change was subtle, that evened the airflow and made it play better. Thanks Rowuk! I think I have a tendency to just put an old trumpet (which is new to me) into the former player's "normal tuning spot" which you can often see because of aging, and THEN adjust it as I go along ....

Gap is still 1/2" and G only knows how the backbore of the mp matches this old Olds. Good enough for now .... Maybe down the road I'll seek out a customized Monette for this horn.

Turtle

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
  3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

That's interesting .... That's a good idea too, an adjustable mp receiver. Especially when there's not a lot of standardization. There ought to be SOMETHING we can dial in at home .... either Jason's adjustable receiver or a tuning bell.:dontknow:

I got nothin ..... nothin!!!

Turtle

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The adjustable receiver adds considerable mass at the mouthpiece. That is not optimal for every type of horn and can make more difference than the gap adjustment. Ever tried a MegaTone mouthpiece?

I really believe in a balanced approach to building trumpets. Horns not designed heavy just seem to get sluggish for me when we pimp them with weight without rebuilding the horn.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Thaks for posting that Ted. I think I will check out the pile of horns I am collecting and see what I find.

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Thanks, Ted.:thumbsup:

I just saved that article, believe that may help with my "C" trumpet problem..........Buck:oops:

7. teacherchops

teacherchops New Friend

Jul 15, 2007
    Charlottetown, P.E.I.
    Yamaha pieces work very well with Yamaha horns.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Absolutely! And the adjustable receiver adds many unsoldered joints right at the beginning of the horn. This makes everything less stable. I have several of these discards from my experimenting.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Trumpetsplus, I agree 100%, just one more place for leakage and additional problems. Overall horn length can possibly be a factor, although a simple gap correction done by someone who knows what there doing will give you big benefits to overall horn performance. Don't make it rocket science, make it easy, there's enough difficult things to deal with when it comes to the trumpet.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I wondered about that ... it does look heavy. I've tried the megatone mps and they don't work well for me. A lightweight horn (like the '38 Studio, which has light guage metal) probably won't do well with that sort of weight hanging off the end.

There certainly is a lot of good information in this thread:thumbsup:. I don't know about you guys, but I feel like I've filled an important GAP in my trumpet education.

Turtle

tobylou8 likes this.