Mouthpiece Gap ... seems important but seldomed discussed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    That's before I got here, Ted:dontknow:

The receiver on my C is the problem, I think. too much gap with my current piece.......:dontknow:

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I have the wrong trumpets. That is EXACTLY what I keep telling myself whenever I need another one!!!:lol:

I hear what you're saying .... I'm being drawn to Portland ..... Frankly, it's a little scary to try a Monette, because I will probably LOVE it! And, you have a picc that plays easily?? I've always heard they were beasts. Am I reading that right, that you designed it? How did you get it built?

Turtle

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    DON'T PLAY THE MONETTE!!! You will never want to play a regular horn again! I played one a few years ago and had to give it back QUICKLY!!! Although, you do seem to be willing to plunk down hard earned money on wooden and steel contraptions, so a Monette might cost you 3 or 4 decent geetars.:-P:-P

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I like the idea of Dave's new horns that have a mouthpiece that comes attached. Now, that sounds like a marriage (between mp and horn). A "wife" to keep you on a VERY SHORT LEASH .... It would end mouthpiece safaris as a matter of course. They would never get stuck in the receiver (there is no receiver).

But, then, when it all goes South ....... WHO yu gonna blame? It's the mouthpiece!:evil: NO! It's the horn!:-o It's a conspiracy!!!!

Turtle

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I like all of Dave's ideas ( well maybe not the cat "thing"). I just can't afford them yet!:lol:

6. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    Me neither.

What makes me stay away from instant suicide is just the statistics.
    They say: Most very good trumpet players use other brands.

Even if you have to compensate for any lack of talent and/or abilities:
    There are countless affordable other accessoires available that can do that job.

Maybe not in trumpet forums - but in real life, that is.

:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Consider yourself "humored" :-), pulled the slide out a bit more (12mm/half inch total) at an outside lunchtime practice (Clarke studies 2,3, & 6 plus scales) for a half hour. Horn sounds fatter, less strained, had trouble locking in on a F, overshot it several times. Not as tired, easier blow.....again, a mind can be a terrible thing.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I tried this too ...... pulling the tuning slide out by 1/8" ...... Hmmmm. Yeah. Fatter, easier blow. Doesn't seem to bother my intonation (as long as my breath support stays strong).

:-)

Rock and roll! (is here to stay)

Turtle

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If 1/8th" on the tuning slide doesn't change the intonation, push it back in. Relaxing is always better than more tension.

Overshooting makes sense. You were trying to play a note that didn't exist comfortably.

10. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Working on the relaxing thing, I'll pay more attention to my attitude when I pick up the horn to practice. Last night I was spun up, practice was less than stellar. Lunch practice today was much better, not sure how to correct the "F" issue, maybe just another "got it in my mind to miss it" so I hold back :dontknow: