Mouthpiece grip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by aue001, Sep 8, 2010.

1. aue001

aue001 New Friend

Jun 26, 2010
    Hey all,

I'm a new user and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what are the factors that make your mouthpiece grip your lips better?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Grip has NOTHING to do with better. There is a valid school of thought that says that your chops should control the vibration and the mouthpiece only "definition"

Dry mouthpieces and lips grip more. New, shiny mouthpieces grip more, sharper inner rims grip more, flatter rims grip more, wide rims grip more.

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Welcome to Trumpet master. I'm no expert so why dont you try some mpc websites. They all give explanations of the various characteristics of what makes a mpc rim work. Try Bach, Warburton, Harrison, Yamaha, and any other you can think of. It will be very confusing but the more you emerce yourself in it the more you may come to understand. Best wishes.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I do not like to grip the mpc with my lips. It has too many negative effects on my playing. That's why I play with a very moist embochure. I too believe that the lips contrl the vibration and the rim only defines the focus of the lips.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ----------
    I don't even know how to answer this question.
    OK, Don't be offended but please take a lesson or two from your local trumpet professor at a local university to get you headed in the right direction. You are going in a real bad direction and will develop a lot of bad habits that will hamstring you.
    Just trust me. Go take a lesson from someone qualified.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In plain terminology, mouthpiece "grip" is performance FAILURE! This is usually followed by the scream of a rim cutting. It is not a knife edge cut but abrasion that is no less painful.

Persist ... and if I were teaching, I'd tell you to take a walk and don't slam the door on the way out.

Truthfully, I prefer children who have not developed such bad habits, rather than all the comebackers that have and are adamant about how they play ... or attempt to.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Movement of the mouthpiece all around the lip as perhaps has one seek "grip" is simply the unsteadiness of holding the trumpet/cornet to your lips. I can certainly understand Parkinson's palsy, but no other cause. Yes, I've had the "jitters" when I was unprepared or nervous, but the "jitters" must be self calmed ... as may be required at times in life for your very survival. HOLD YOUR INSTRUMENT STEADY!