Mouthpiece help please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Skyi, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Skyi

Skyi New Friend

Jan 21, 2004
    Ok, I was that 1st chair cocky prick of a trumpet player most of you reading this probably were or are right now. I quit right after high school because studying to get into med school became my new obsession. Here i am 5 years later wanting to start again and my lips.. SUCK (not literally). I need to build up my muscles again but which mouthpiece should i use (i prefer bach brand so if you describe a size please use their system). I would like to be able to increase my range again as high as possible without getting a shallower cup than a 7C and also I would like a darker richer and more full tone. What mouthpieces should I use for practicing to increase range and tone quality to this degree and which should I use for playing pieces? I'd appreciate any help or advice.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I think one of the best all around mouthpieces out there would be a Bach 3C. What is wrong with the 7C? That is a very typical mouthpiece for a student / come back player to be using. That is not to say pros don't use a 7C. It just so happens alot of people start on that model as well.

Anyway my advice if you are looking for something different would be to go with a Bach 3C.

Good Luck!

3. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    3c's the way to be

4. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I have played a number of mouthpieces and have found nothing better than a Bach 3C for just about any purpose you have in mind.

There are players who may suggest something much more expensive, or more "esoteric" so to speak, but I agree that the 3C is about as good as it gets - for me, at least...

5. Skyi

Skyi New Friend

Jan 21, 2004
    Ok, I'll try the 3C. Thanks for the advice!
    Chris