Mouthpiece help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Sep 19, 2009.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Hey all,

If I'm using some pressure, would getting a mp with a wider inside diameter help? Help in the fact that it would make the ring further away from the middle of my lips therefore giving more "flexibility", if that is the right term, to the core of my buzz.

Thanks,

Trax

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    NO

Just like switching to cigars does not solve a smoking problem! If you are using pressure, a new mouthpiece will create a need for even MORE because your chops get confused - but you want to continue to play.

The only solution is to SLOW DOWN. Pressure is dumb and that is solved between the ears. Check out the 2-300 threads on pressure. They all say the same thing.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

Rowuk pretty much summed it up. The only thing that will help a pressure problem is to stop using too much pressure.

Unfortunately you'll likely have to take a bit of a step backwards while you make the adjustment to less pressure, so you have to be patient and disiplined in your approach.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    A mouthpiece change will not cure bad playing habits. When you change you will still have the same problems. Find a good private teacher who can how to fix your problem. You really need someone who can sit with you. They need to see and hear you play to make any corrections to your embouchure.

5. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I had a wake up call the other night during a rehearsal when the lead fellow next to me looked at my chops after I complained about fatigue earlier than usual and said, "you're swelling. Is that another mpc? Maybe too much pressure." Of course, I was shot for the rest of the night, and he was right, I had switched back to an old mpc I used years go, with a shaper bite and narrower cup. Now, I don't use much pressure when I play, but just a little on an unfamiliar set up ruined me after only 90 minutes!

Next day, I went back to my Curry and consciously backed off, and viola! High range came back, endurance, more centered sound... I had been using more pressure than I needed, which wasn't apparant to me until my sound literally jumped out of the horn. Adage, do whatever you can to reduce pressure and don't switch your set up around too much. You'll never know the difference until you try it, and hear it.

Ed