Mouthpiece Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jeeper31, Apr 19, 2011.

1. jeeper31

jeeper31 New Friend

Jan 18, 2011
    I played in band in high school and a few wedding (polka) bands through college. I really haven't played since ( about 30) years. I am now performing in a rock (bar ) band in a horn section. Me and trombone. I am looking for a good mouthpiece recommendation. I am currently using my Bach 7C from my younger years. Any help is Appreciated. Thanks.

2. PMFHorn

PMFHorn New Friend

Mar 13, 2011
    Gainesville, FL
    I think the best way to find a mouthpiece is to bring your trumpet to a store that will let you try out different mouthpieces and go crazy until you find the one that works for you and your horn. That's what I just did.

-Paul

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    If it ain't broke, why fix it? I'm still using the same mouthpiece I began using 21 years ago, does everything I want it to do--so why change. If you have a specific goal in mind, or a specific reason to change that's a different story. But for anyone to give you any sort of recommendation you have to tell us what's wrong with the old one.

EDIT:
    By the way, this is a frequently asked question--so expect a little--uh, shall we say "humor" --in the answers. But maybe they'll help some.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    That about says it all.

5. jeeper31

jeeper31 New Friend

Jan 18, 2011
    M
    Lol. Humor is fine I planned on it.

I guess because it has been a long time since i have played I am looking for something to help my range and to help me cut through everybody. Right now I tire quickly and the band expects a "horn section!".

Thank

6. SwingPlayer

SwingPlayer New Friend

Apr 7, 2011
    I.E. SoCal
    whatever works...works. There is no best, what's good for you...is best.

7. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    There is truth in the above, and I'll toss in my own $0.02: your mp is a tool and should be tailored to do the job. For your job, trumpet in a rock horn section playing in bars, I would definitely look at something a little shallower, an d also look at whatever I could do help with hearing myself.

I love the 7C. Great piece, btw. No need to change it for the majority of your playing. Maybe consider a Warburton S or SV in the 5-6 range?

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    A shallower mouthpiece will help you produce a brighter, more cutting sound. Assuming you don't bottom out in it. Since you're used to the 7C, your most straight-forward option would be to try a Bach 7E. The rim probably won't be exactly the same, but it should be fairly similar.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The 7C is a GREAT mouthpiece. Fantastic combination of full tone, rim shape for flexibility, not an air hog.

I personally believe you REALLY have to have a reason to want something else. The myth about beginners mouthpiece just does not hold up!

10. jeeper31

jeeper31 New Friend

Jan 18, 2011
    Well being that I am not in the shape i used to be in I am looking for something to ease the upper register for me. Anybody knew anything about Jet Tone?