Mouthpiece Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jeeper31, Apr 19, 2011.

1. EricMGB1974

EricMGB1974 Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    Elmira, NY
    If you really want to change up and try something different for the higher register consider looking at the Parduba mouthpieces. A Parduba 4 1/2 would be a bit smaller than your 7C, about the size of a Bach 10 1/2C. A Parduba 5 or 5 1/2 would be closer to your Bach 7C. I have both an original vintage 4 1/2 as well as a modern reproduction 5 1/2. I personally prefer the 4 1/2 both for the size and the feel of the rim. The reproduction is not identical to the vintage pieces and is in my opinion a step below. That said, they aren't bad and are certainly easier to find. John Parduba & Son Double-Cup Mouthpiece

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The mouthpiece does not give you range even if the ads tell you they do.
    Range is a function of the lips being able to vibrate quickly, that means that pressure needs to be down to keep from squeezing off the face muscles, the lips must be supple yet firm to withstand the blast of air but still vibrate quickly and the rest of your body has to be cooperative.

There are tons of specialty "lead mouthpieces". They are there to produce a different type of tone that gets along better when being the cutting edge of the big band.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Where a mouthpiece won't give you range,it can definitely aid endurance. A shallower cup takes less air than a deep one. So while it won't necessarily give you range,it does make the range you do have easier. I use a Warburton 6sv/3 bb which is close to a Bach 7 ID. for all my lead work.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    don't listen to anyone else --- go get an Asymmetric 3C+544, and change your horn to a King Silver Flair ---- that is the only combination that works --- just ask everyone here on TM that uses that combo -- LOL

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I recently sold my Jet-Tone T3D to somebody who was really keen to have one -- but until then I used to use it to reach the higher register for short periods (i.e. a few minutes). It felt great up there but personally I found it gave me a rather harsher sound in the mid-low registers and tired me out quickly. (But it was fun for the songs where it worked.)

If I were choosing a new mouthpiece I would try it for more than a few minutes -- a half hour or more would give you an idea how it might affect your endurance. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to continually swap mouthpieces during a trial, even though time can be limited when you're visiting a shop and have a number of pieces to get through.

--bumblebee